Problems with Running as a service on vista

General discussion about PS3 Media Server (no support or requests)

Problems with Running as a service on vista

Postby eagle eye » Wed Jan 21, 2009 4:59 am

Hello all great piece of software compared to other products I have tried. All is fine except for being able to run as a service so It will always be available.I have selected install as a service in config tab and it does indeed show up as ps3 media server in computer management console and it is set to autostart with local system account log in but I can not get it to show up in the ps3 crossbar using this method. Only if I run the program from the desktop shortcut will the server appear on the ps3 does any one here know why this would be happening.

Thanks
eagle eye

Re: Problems with Running as a service on vista

Postby phrenzi » Wed Jan 21, 2009 9:04 am

I have the same problem with XP sp3
phrenzi

Postby Smeezy101 » Wed Jan 21, 2009 3:51 pm

Took this from my original post over at avforums.com:

"I seem to have found a fix for those trying to run this as a service under WHS. It seems that the program wrapper.exe needs an exception added to the firewall. The easiest way to do this is to open windows explorer and navigate to this file under the PS3 media server folder. The path should be as follows:

c:\Program Files\PS3 Media Server\win32\service\wrapper.exe

Double-click this file and a firewall dialog box will pop up. Click on unblock and restart your WHS machine. After your WHS has rebooted, the PMS should appear in the XMB of the PS3."

Though I'm using Windows Home Server, this should work for Vista and XP.
Smeezy101

Postby eagle eye » Thu Jan 22, 2009 8:01 am

Thanks for the info smeezy101 that was the problem. Seems to work correctly now To bad there was no mention of this issue in the readme or FAQ.
eagle eye

Postby FullMoon » Sun Jan 25, 2009 4:26 am

This is the Holly Grail :D
Runs great now on my Windows 7 X64 system as a service :o
Folks need to shout this one from the roof tops!
FullMoon

Postby mi6 » Mon Jan 26, 2009 6:25 am

Thanks!

This resolved the same problem ive been having works on WinXP Pro X64!
mi6

Postby ThaDraGun » Thu Jan 29, 2009 8:08 pm

Running as a service means it will be on all the time, and I don't have to start up PSM everytime I want to use it? Different then just putting it in the startup menu?

I selected Install as a windows service but it doesnt look like it did anything.
When browsing to the PMS folder there is no folder "service"

- Running vista ultimate x64
ThaDraGun

Postby Smeezy101 » Thu Jan 29, 2009 9:14 pm

ThaDraGun wrote:Running as a service means it will be on all the time, and I don't have to start up PSM everytime I want to use it? Different then just putting it in the startup menu?

I selected Install as a windows service but it doesnt look like it did anything.
When browsing to the PMS folder there is no folder "service"

- Running vista ultimate x64

Running PMS as a service means it will be on whenever your media server or host machine is on. Putting this in the start menu won't work reliably (or at least I was unable to get it to work). To open the Services list, type Services in the Start Search window. This will open the services window. I'm at work now but I believe the name of the service is shown as PS3 Media Server or something to that effect. Make sure this service is enabled and set to start automatically. Once that is done, follow my above steps to get wrapper.exe through your firewall. If the PS3 Media server is not shown as a service, something else is wrong. Maybe you can try hitting that Install as a Windows Service button again. If that doesn't work, try uninstalling PMS, re-install it and hit that button again.
Smeezy101

Postby shagrath » Thu Jan 29, 2009 10:14 pm

service install only works on 32bits
shagrath
Project Lead

Postby sync24 » Mon Feb 02, 2009 1:17 pm

shagrath wrote:service install only works on 32bits

I have the service running OK on 64Bit Ultimate. Only caveat is that I have to stop the service first before making and config changes. I then save them and restart the service.

I installed the service using the button available in the GUI.

Version: V 1.03

** TVersity has firmly been relegated to the bin! All hail PS3 Media Server ** :)
sync24

Next

Return to General Discussion