Encoders that work on Xbox 360 - please comment

For help and support with PS3 Media Server in general
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply.

Encoders that work on Xbox 360 - please comment

Postby sangeek » Fri Jul 31, 2009 6:31 pm

I would like your opinions on what encoders you use on Xbox360 to playback your movies...

Mencoder - works like a champ
TSmuxer - never worked for me
AviSynth/Mencoder - worked for me in the past (working on some issues at the moment)
AviSynth/FFmpeg - never worked for me

thx
Sangeek
sangeek

Re: Encoders that work on Xbox 360 - please comment

Postby sangeek » Sun Aug 02, 2009 5:04 pm

wow. nobody uses the XBOX360? come on guys... put your $.02 in.... lets share the knowledge.

If you have successfully used an encoder on the XBOX 360, please post it...
sangeek

Postby DePingus » Sun Aug 02, 2009 7:14 pm

Just installed this a few days ago and been using Mencoder (default) with no probs. So I haven't bothered to change it. All my vids are in divx / xvid avi, wmv, or mp4. I don't think anything is actually being encoded on the fly.
DePingus

Postby mrfisz » Sun Aug 02, 2009 8:16 pm

Mencoder - works
TSmuxer - its not for xbox i think
AviSynth/Mencoder - works great (subtitles etc)
AviSynth/FFmpeg - doesnt work.

only issues i have now (newest beta version) are related with limiting bitrate on 1080 movies i can only limit it to 30mbits/s or less. My cpu is to weak to trasnscode (keyint=1:vqscale=1:vqmin=2 /* Best Quality */) to such bitrate in real time. Im hoping that CUDA on nvidia 9300m will handle this.

finaly i can watch HD movies without software like gotsent :D
mrfisz

Postby sangeek » Tue Aug 04, 2009 3:52 am

thanks for the update guys.

for typical files like avi divx etc. the standard encoders never fails, its when you're trying to do more advanced 720/1080p that we have to start tweeking shit and adding encoders to improve performance.

Our experienses are similar except that i have not been able to use avisynth/mencoder for some time now. 1080p work fine with Mencoder, but the buffer runs out too fast prob meaning that my CPU is not fast enough to keep up with the encoding...

Mrfisz, can you list the version of software you are using so i can compare with mine. I've been trying to fix avisynth for weeks now. even after a full system reinstall, no go for me...

the help is appreciated...

sangeek
sangeek

Postby pup99 » Tue Aug 04, 2009 2:32 pm

sangeek wrote:I would like your opinions on what encoders you use on Xbox360 to playback your movies...

Mencoder - works like a champ
TSmuxer - never worked for me
AviSynth/Mencoder - worked for me in the past (working on some issues at the moment)
AviSynth/FFmpeg - never worked for me

thx
Sangeek

it could be that your question is worded wrong :D

you cant actually do Encoding ON the 360 without a hacked PPC linux install on there, and only if you have never put the thing online so had the old firmwre updated and rendered the PPC linux boot impossable....

x264 FFMPeg and VLC seem to work fine on the PS3 running PPC linux though...
Last edited by pup99 on Tue Aug 04, 2009 4:17 pm, edited 2 times in total.
pup99

Postby pup99 » Tue Aug 04, 2009 2:37 pm

sangeek wrote:wow. nobody uses the XBOX360? come on guys... put your $.02 in.... lets share the knowledge.

If you have successfully used an encoder on the XBOX 360, please post it...

:D

if infact you mean running an Encoder on your (core2 2800 quad)PC and creating a fast valid 360 directly streamable file then AVIDemux is your friend for loading up any over spec HD.mkv and re-Encoding it to the set 360 UPTO the highest it can take,that being a MAX AVC (HD) 10Mbit/s, ref=3,AAC=2 inside an Mp4 container.... IN a few simple mouse clicks and a change of output settings, done.

see: my other post here viewtopic.php?f=6&t=3280&p=14281#p14281
pup99

Postby pup99 » Tue Aug 04, 2009 2:55 pm

mrfisz wrote:Mencoder - works
TSmuxer - its not for xbox i think
AviSynth/Mencoder - works great (subtitles etc)
AviSynth/FFmpeg - doesnt work.

only issues i have now (newest beta version) are related with limiting bitrate on 1080 movies i can only limit it to 30mbits/s or less. My cpu is to weak to trasnscode (keyint=1:vqscale=1:vqmin=2 /* Best Quality */) to such bitrate in real time. Im hoping that CUDA on nvidia 9300m will handle this.

finaly i can watch HD movies without software like gotsent :D

if your streaming to the 360 as i assume you mean given the thread title, again i point you to my other post viewtopic.php?f=6&t=3269&p=14288#p14288

regarding using the NVidia CUDA ASIC for Hardwre assisted transcoding, the answer is dependent on if it can do that for your given 720/1080 files already stand alone, the best place to get the info and bring it back here is the doom9 CUDA ASIC threads....

start here http://forum.doom9.org/forumdisplay.php?f=77 and read any Nvidea threads to get upto speed.

especially neuron2's DGAVCDecNV 1.0.13: AVC apps and GPU decoding on Nvidia threads.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

there is also a potental way to also make an ATI/AMD Avivo realtime encode work from a windows PC
if we have any good Graph makers here ?,
i have never seen anyone try this outside a few D9 posts, but it seems doable if you can work it out...

but the end result will not be great, as you might know if you have ever tryed the free AVIVO Encoder on your card and included driver set,
but good enough for a quick stream perhaps....

there is a really old hacked freeware version of the original AVIVO stand alone Encoder, that can run an any Gfx card,
and it most be said their Encoder doesnt really use the Gfx card to do the work as their PR says,
its all on the CPU, but they DO got some real world speed out of it even there, for reasonable quick encoding to several tpes of container,
so it is werth a Good look perhaps....
ill see if i can find that old version and post a link for you to try.... see below.

if you basicly get atitools, and inside there he did an ATI XCoder app that can access the directshow filters ATI AVIVO installs
and tweak them a little to get a slightly better trans/encode than the lame fixed function Encoder GUI available inside the basic driver options....

if he can do that, so can you with a the right directshow graph and the usual filter graph tools.

some installed ATI filters available to you to graph after installing AVIVO Encoder include,
ATI Video Scaler Filter,ATI Video Format Converter,ATI VCR Video Converter,ATI MPEG File Writer,ATI MPEG Video Encoder,
ATI MPEG Multiplexer etc, and these can transcode and write out HD AVC inside an mp4 ,Dix in an avi,wmv containers etc....
really fast but nothing High@anything....

its NOT Great, not even really good, and No were Near anyting 'quality' a real x264 Encode will get you today with the newest x264 CRF mode/code ,
but still werth a look and try to intigrate into PS3MS id think for windows use at least, for a pritty sure realtime transcode on even lower spec CPUs
perhaps even old AMDXP class PCs, as the ATI filters do run faster than anything else out there, OC at the expense of quality..

heres the hacked free stand alone AVIVO version from way back in 2005/6
http://www.filefront.com/14192221/ATI.A ... .v1.12.zip

get it while you see it, as filefont dont keep them very long, around a month at best i think.

and apparently Xcoder is being kept updated which suprised me ;) but i dont know if it still works with the above old AVIVO hacked to run anywere version
http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=296314

and if your going to be messing around with directshow graphs and codec filter merits then you probably need
http://blog.monogram.sk/janos/2008/12/1 ... udio-0310/ too.
pup99

Return to General Help and Support