Transcode buffer maximum

For help and support with PS3 Media Server in general
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply.

Transcode buffer maximum

Postby Tannhauser » Thu Jan 22, 2009 3:00 am

Under 'common transcode settings', there is an option for changing the transcode buffer maximum size - currently set on 400.0 megabytes and the maximum is 600. My request is, could someone explain what this does exactly? Am new to media streaming.
Tannhauser

Re: Transcode buffer maximum

Postby qtpie » Thu Jan 22, 2009 7:48 pm

If I am correct... this is the buffer using to transcode the video before streaming it to the PS3. Problem is mencoder doesn't transcode 1080p fast enough to fill this buffer before streaming it. This is why, we see stuttering when we stream 1080p movies. Try to stream a 720p movie and watch the status tab in PMS, you'll see this buffer is filling up faster then it can stream to the PS3, thus no stuttering with 720p movies.

Currently, to solve the stuttering problem with 1080p movies, I would just pause the movies (at the beginning when it still plays the opening), for about 3-5 minutes to allow PMS to fill up the buffer to about 200M then I start playing. This way, there's enough data to stream to the PS3 while PMS continues to transcode new data.

Lastly, IMO, 400Mb is plenty for the buffer... I don't think you need to max it out at 600Mb
qtpie

Postby NicMic » Tue Aug 04, 2009 8:40 am

Hello,

My situation is a bit different, I guess the transcoder uses 4 cores very effectively because the buffer fills up even in 1080p...

The problem is that at approx. 30mbps, the 600MB buffer does not last long. It's perfectly fine for simple streaming, but when I try to fast forward it empties very quickly...

Is it possible to set a maximum higher than 600MB? I've read that the buffer resides in memory, I've got 8GB of RAM, so 4GB would be nice...
NicMic

Postby marco275 » Tue Aug 04, 2009 9:46 am

NicMic wrote:Hello,

My situation is a bit different, I guess the transcoder uses 4 cores very effectively because the buffer fills up even in 1080p...

The problem is that at approx. 30mbps, the 600MB buffer does not last long. It's perfectly fine for simple streaming, but when I try to fast forward it empties very quickly...

Is it possible to set a maximum higher than 600MB? I've read that the buffer resides in memory, I've got 8GB of RAM, so 4GB would be nice...

I have 4 gig's of ram in my server but when i set the buffer on more then 300mb PMS shut's down after about 2 seconds, so I doubt if a bigger buffer does help. Pausing the pms for a few minutes only helps for about 15 minutes or so depending on the bitrate, the the buffer empties en the stuttering begins.
At the moment that the buffer is emptying CPU load is about 90% and networkload in only a few persent. So problably more of an mencoder issue.
marco275

Postby NicMic » Tue Aug 04, 2009 10:30 am

marco275 wrote:I have 4 gig's of ram in my server but when i set the buffer on more then 300mb PMS shut's down after about 2 seconds, so I doubt if a bigger buffer does help. Pausing the pms for a few minutes only helps for about 15 minutes or so depending on the bitrate, the the buffer empties en the stuttering begins.
At the moment that the buffer is emptying CPU load is about 90% and networkload in only a few persent. So problably more of an mencoder issue.

I am using a 600MB buffer without issue, but when playing Full HD that is only about 2.5 minutes. The buffer remains full when watching, but when I press fast forward on the remote and look at the buffer screen on the PC, I see it empty very quickly.

Having a bigger buffer would simply allow more fast forwarding, not affect the playback when watching normally, 4GB should allow for about 18 minutes...

Or maybe that should be another way to set the buffer: not in MB, but in minutes?
NicMic

Postby SJO[DK] » Tue Aug 04, 2009 12:43 pm

It's a Java issue :|
SJO[DK]

Postby ghost » Mon Jan 18, 2010 8:45 pm

Is this really the cause?
Or is this assumption? If it's cuz of java then maybe a similar app can be written in maybe c++ for instance.
Wouldn't be as easy to port to other OS's but I wouldn't mind giving it a shot.
ghost

Postby Doovde » Sat Feb 02, 2013 11:13 am

Apologies for dragging up a very old thread, however my post is relevant to the point in question.

Regarding the buffer size, I had a particular problem with a lot of MKV's which would play then freeze or skip. This happened across many MKV's which seemed to be fine for other people, including friends with similar spec PC's and who used PMS. I found in my case, than lowering the buffer size from 600MB to 400MB fixed nearly all of the freezing / skipping issues. I do not know why, it was as though my PC was unable to handle the 600MB buffer. I have an old Q6600 (not OC), 4GB RAM and an IP-35 Pro mobo. The thing has been solid for years and is more than capable of streaming full HD content around my entirely gigabit Ethernet home network.

So, for what it is worth. If you have stutter, freezing or skipping on mkvs. Try lowering the buffer. It worked for me.

Alex
Doovde

Return to General Help and Support