2 problems (INFO INCLUDED)

For help and support with PS3 Media Server in general
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply.

2 problems (INFO INCLUDED)

Postby zixer » Mon Aug 03, 2009 4:29 pm

Hello. At first i will give you my computer specs.

PS3MS version : V1.10.51

Motherboard: Asus A8N-SLI
GFX: Geforce 6200 Turbo Cache
CPU: AMD Athlon 64 Processor 3000 1.81 GHz.
Memory: 1GB ram.
Internet Connection: 10mbit down/1mbit up. (wired)
Im Using Mendocder to transcode video files. I have Avisynth installed but i dont know if its used with Mencoder when i transcode.

Problem no. 1.
Today ive tried to watch a mp4 video called HOME. Its a 720p video with AAC 2channel sound and a srt subtitle file. At first i could watch it with no problem on my ps3 but at some point it started to get very choppy. I checked and sometimes the movie ran 70Mbps. And i think its my computer specs thats weak but wanted to check with you.

Problem no. 2.
When i try to copy the 1.5 gb mp4 file over to the harddrive of my ps3 its taking forever. Last time i checked how it was going it said that 14gb was now copied so i cancelled it.

I hope any of you can help me.
zixer

Re: 2 problems (INFO INCLUDED)

Postby meskibob » Mon Aug 03, 2009 7:11 pm

A full transcode is required for subtitle support, which can be resource intensive.
1) I'm not sure a 1.8ghz dual core is enough for 720P transcoding.
2) This is standard, as you're transcoding to MPEG2 which takes up a lot more space than H264.
Both of these can be mitigated by specifying reasonable values for the Max Bandwidth and Video Quality settings under the Common Transcode settings.
I provide NO application support via PM or email, so please post your question to the forum per the Forum Rules.
meskibob

Postby zixer » Tue Aug 04, 2009 8:53 am

my cpu isnt a dual core :).

Ye it takes up more space but a 1.5 gb file went up to 15gb. Must be a error in the program.
zixer

Postby meskibob » Tue Aug 04, 2009 1:08 pm

zixer wrote:my cpu isnt a dual core :).
Then you're hosed ;)
zixer wrote:Ye it takes up more space but a 1.5 gb file went up to 15gb. Must be a error in the program.
While that seems unreasonable, it's not a like-for-like conversion since you're adding subtitles and probably transcoding the audio. It also depends on the source video codec and your transcode settings (as I mentioned above)
I provide NO application support via PM or email, so please post your question to the forum per the Forum Rules.
meskibob

Return to General Help and Support