HELP! - Media Server found, but no media recognized!

For help and support with PS3 Media Server in general
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply.

HELP! - Media Server found, but no media recognized!

Postby ShootingBlanks » Sat Aug 01, 2009 6:48 pm

I've been working for hours trying to set up my media server from either my XP desktop or Vista laptop. I finally got it recognized on XP (I've come to the conclusion that Vista is an impossibility), but when I go to my PS3 and click on the little Windows Media Player icon that was recognized, anytime I try to access videos, music, or photos, it says there's none there! However, when you go on the PC into Windows Media Player you can clearly see tons of media in the WMP library.

I've googled all over for a solution to this, but all I keep finding are people who can't get the Media Server to show up at all on their PS3. I have the Media Server showing up, just no media. Any ideas??? Thanks!
ShootingBlanks

Re: HELP! - Media Server found, but no media recognized!

Postby LiquidCooled » Sat Aug 01, 2009 7:58 pm

This forum is for PS3 Media Server, are you asking about that or are you asking about Windows Media Player? If latter, make sure you have told WMP, presumably version 11, which folders you want to share, because honestly Vista is much easier than XP for media sharing. Your problem may be different firewall software on your different machines and you have to allow the appropriate program through. Most decent firewalls will setup automatically for WMP.
LiquidCooled

Postby ShootingBlanks » Sat Aug 01, 2009 8:49 pm

Ahhhh - I found this forum by googling stuff to try and get my WMP to work. When I saw "PS3 Media Server Forum", I didn't know it was for the actual "PS3 Media Server" software. I thought it was just a generic forum for help with connecting up to a media server on a PS3...

...Nevertheless, this particular PS3 Media Server software is something that I did download in my efforts to get this all working on Vista. However, as soon as I launched it I just got a big red X on the application, and it would never connect. So, I scrapped that idea. But if you have a solution to NOT use WMP (and instead get that PS3 Media Server software to connect on Vista), then I'm all ears! :D
ShootingBlanks

Postby LiquidCooled » Sat Aug 01, 2009 10:11 pm

Excellent because PS3 Media Server is superb. Ordinarily it will work as soon as downloaded and installed. Question, did you download the latest build ie 356?, which can be found in forum, not on media server home page. If yes, great. The big red x means that it has not yet found your ps3, obviously enough. I found the best way to establish the connection for me was to have the server running before switching on ps3. If still no luck you will need to check firewall settings as you have to make sure that the following is allowed through,
C:\Program Files (x86)\PS3 Media Server\PMS.exe
Most decent firewall software will allow it through but you should make sure. Port forwarding on your router should not be necessary, neither should manually assigning an IP.
Lets make sure you get that far before anything else. Sorry not meaning to come across patronising you may very well be better than networking than I am, but this software is worth the time.
LiquidCooled

Postby ShootingBlanks » Sun Aug 02, 2009 1:13 am

LiquidCooled wrote:did you download the latest build ie 356?, which can be found in forum, not on media server home page.

Just did that now. Installed, and still no luck.

LiquidCooled wrote:I found the best way to establish the connection for me was to have the server running before switching on ps3.

Launched it, got the red X, turned on my PS3, and nothing happened.

LiquidCooled wrote:check firewall settings as you have to make sure that the following is allowed through,
C:\Program Files (x86)\PS3 Media Server\PMS.exe

I just made that program an exception on my Windows Firewall. Still nothing! :?

LiquidCooled wrote:Sorry not meaning to come across patronising

Not at all! The suggestions are very much appreciated. I'd really like to try and get this running. Any other suggestions. Again, I'm on a Vista laptop. Thanks!
ShootingBlanks

Postby LiquidCooled » Sun Aug 02, 2009 8:29 am

OK, next to check. With Vista you should probably check in "Network And Sharing Center", to see if your network type is set to Private, you have enabled Network Discovery and File Sharing. Depending upon which firewall software you use you may have to tell it to allow the PS3 to be Trusted on your network. While your have set PMS.exe to be allowed "out", your firewall may not be allowing your PS3 "In".
LiquidCooled

Postby ShootingBlanks » Sun Aug 02, 2009 4:25 pm

LiquidCooled wrote:OK, next to check. With Vista you should probably check in "Network And Sharing Center", to see if your network type is set to Private

It is. If I change it to "Public", though, isn't that a bad thing? Everything else is recognized through my private network - why not the PS3 Media Server software?

LiquidCooled wrote:you have enabled Network Discovery and File Sharing.

Yes and yes.

LiquidCooled wrote:While your have set PMS.exe to be allowed "out", your firewall may not be allowing your PS3 "In".

Hmmmm - this is one that I'd have no idea how to do. I know I have the default "Windows Firewall" running. I also think I have something called "PC-illin", but I don't even know how that works or what it does. Do you have any specifics on how you think I could let the PS3 "in"?

Thanks so much for the help!!! :D
ShootingBlanks

Postby LiquidCooled » Sun Aug 02, 2009 11:14 pm

Your network SHOULD be private, sorry if I didn't make that clear.
As for PC-illin that is just a free anti virus, and having used so many of them I am of the opinion that you get what you pay for.
Now, Windows own Firewall, not the best firewall but, go to Control Panel, then Security, then about midway down you will see Windows Firewall with a couple of options immediately below. Click on Allow A Program Through.. A window will appear with a list of programs and checkboxes to their left. Scroll down to see if PS3 Media Server is listed and has a tick in its box. If not at the bottom left is a button for Add Program, click it and the new window has another list of programs, scroll down to PS3 Media Server, and select. That should allow it through as this adds an exception in the list of rules. If that still doesn't work try turning the firewall off and see if that works.
LiquidCooled

Postby ExSport » Sun Aug 02, 2009 11:25 pm

If you run PMS as service you need to add to firewall exception wrapper.exe and if you run it via pms.exe, you need to add also javaw.exe to pass your firewall ;)
But better to disable firewall for a while and test PMS. Then you will see if your problem is firewall or not 8-)
ExSport

Postby ShootingBlanks » Wed Aug 05, 2009 8:40 pm

Okay - after much MUCH frustration, I have officially given up on Vista. I went downstairs to my old crappy desktop and just installed PS3 Media Server on that instead (it's XP). Worked immediately. Sort of. Here's still my issues/questions:

• Within each folder in my videos folder, it created another folder called "#--TRANSCODE--#" and it duplicates all the videos again in there. What's that about?
  • Is there a way to get my iTunes playlists to work with this thing?
  • Can it be used in conjunction with two PS3s in my house at once?
  • Is there any documentation for this, other than the forums?

Thanks again so much for all your help. If you think it's worth me trying to mess with getting it on my Vista laptop, let me know. Otherwise I'll just have it running on my old XP desktop.
ShootingBlanks

Next

Return to General Help and Support