Slight worse sound quality of streaming apple lossless

For help and support with PS3 Media Server in general
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply.

Slight worse sound quality of streaming apple lossless

Postby cranberry » Tue Jul 28, 2009 3:03 am

Hi, I know it has been discussed and PS3 media server should stream apple lossless in CD quality, but I can still hear slightly differences. The apple lossless streaming is less smooth, less dynamic and more electronic than CD. Its not very obvious but noticeable on my Onkyo SR806 and KEF speakers, and bad enough for me to go back to CD.

I do not understand why this happen, but maybe there are still loss in the re-sampling/re-encoding process, or the PS3 simply handle streaming and CD differently.

Please share your opinions. ;)
cranberry

Re: Slight worse sound quality of streaming apple lossless

Postby rickster53 » Mon Aug 03, 2009 12:38 am

cranberry wrote:Hi, I know it has been discussed and PS3 media server should stream apple lossless in CD quality, but I can still hear slightly differences. The apple lossless streaming is less smooth, less dynamic and more electronic than CD. Its not very obvious but noticeable on my Onkyo SR806 and KEF speakers, and bad enough for me to go back to CD.

I do not understand why this happen, but maybe there are still loss in the re-sampling/re-encoding process, or the PS3 simply handle streaming and CD differently.

Please share your opinions. ;)

I stream lossless WMA files to my PS3 and I have a similar subtle, but noticeable quality issue. Make sure you set the volume level on the PS3 to the middle setting---that helps somewhat. I believe lesser grade audio systems may mask the sound quality differrence, but good equipment like users may exagerate it. Wish I had the answer, but I don't. My guess would be it's a decoder issue, but I'm really not sure.
rickster53

Return to General Help and Support