help! i can't open the softwere

For help and support with issues specific to Mac OS X
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply.

help! i can't open the softwere

Postby nimrod » Wed Jul 22, 2009 9:52 pm

hi,
i was window user, then i bought mac few days ago. installed the program. at first it work fine. but after a day it started this problem:
when i start the program (from the applications folder) it start to show at the dock but i can't open the program at all. even if i try to close it by quitting it from the dock it won't let me and i have to force it to close.
i tried to install the new beta and it didn't help, the same problem...

p.s- i menneged to open the program trow PMS.jar but it looks bed and i can't stream MKV files.

need your help with this.
thanks
nimrod
nimrod

Re: help! i can't open the softwere

Postby cheule » Fri Jul 24, 2009 2:14 pm

A myriad of things could be going on here, but let's start with the easiest most likely solution. Navigate to your home folder (the one that uses your login name). Inside there find Library. Inside there Application Support. Then PS3 Media Server. Place PMS.conf in the trash and empty it.

This will remove the data file that saves the setting for the program. On Macs it's known as the preference file. And they're known to possibly get corrupted from time to time, so deleting them is SOP when there are problems.
cheule

Postby Redlum » Fri Jul 24, 2009 2:42 pm

Also, which version of OSX are you using? PowerPC or Intel?
Redlum
Project Member

Postby nimrod » Sun Jul 26, 2009 8:15 am

i have intel mac (macbook pro).
i tried to delete the file and even to reinstall the program after it. nothing...
more ideas?

Nimrod
nimrod

Postby cheule » Tue Jul 28, 2009 9:56 pm

Nimrod, you stated you were able to get it running through launching the PMS.jar file. This is normally hidden insided the .app package. Did you right click on the app and use "show contents" to get to the PMS.jar? or was the app appearing as a folder on it's own?

If it was appearing as a folder on it's own, this could mean your OS is having some issues that we might be able to sort out. If you selected "show contents," well I'd just say that normally you shouldn't ever have to do that on Mac OS, and if you do then it means something has usually already gone wrong.

Have you used Disk Utility to repair permissions yet?
cheule

Postby nimrod » Wed Jul 29, 2009 7:01 am

i open through contents.
already tried disk utilities didn't change anything...

nimrod
nimrod

Return to Mac OS X Support