Transcode settings

For help and support with PS3 Media Server in general
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply.

Transcode settings

Postby kobus » Fri Jul 24, 2009 8:41 am

I have a Sony Bravia tv and PS3MS build 350.
On my tv a divx file shows as:
videofile.avi [MEncoder][External Subtitles] (MPEG2)
When I try to play that videofile it doesn't work and the tv says it can't play that file.
To play that videofile I have to go to the #-- TRANSCODE --# folder and select the following transcoder:
MEncoder [Audio: MP3/Undetermined][Sub: SubRip/Undetermined](MPEG2)
Now the videofile plays without any problem.

A similar problem I have with MKV files.
These show on my tv as:
videofile.mkv [MEncoder](AVC)
These won't play and via the #-- TRANSCODE --# folder I have to select:
MEncoder [Audio: DTS/English][Sub: Embedded/Dutch](MPEG2)
Is it possible to change the settings to play the transcode version by default instead of having to select them via the transcode folder each time?
kobus

Re: Transcode settings

Postby LiquidCooled » Fri Jul 24, 2009 9:38 am

Yes, go to the "Transcode Settings" tab in ps3ms, then on right hand column at top is "Common Transcode Settings", select that, then in left hand pane just above the yellow Encoder Tips box is option for "Force transcode for following extensions (coma seperated)", in the box after type avi,mkv, that should work.
LiquidCooled

Postby MaRioNd » Tue Aug 04, 2009 7:28 pm

Hello,

I have the same probeme...
I've typed in the box avi,mkv and now every video appears outside #-- TRANSCODE --# folder but all the videos fail.
I still need to go in #-- TRANSCODE --# folder and launch MEncoder [Audio: MP3/Undetermined].
I wonder if this message is normal or not. Is it possible to have a "clean" menu without error messages like that?

I have another question about the delay between the sound and the image: is there a parameter to fix this kind of problem?
MaRioNd

Postby LiquidCooled » Wed Aug 05, 2009 10:38 pm

Go to Transcode settings tab, and move the Mencoder engine to the top so that it is used ahead of any others. So now, hopefully any mkv or avi will have a transcode forced using Mencoder which sounds like that is what works.
LiquidCooled

Return to General Help and Support