MKV vs. VOB - Why use MKV?

General discussion about PS3 Media Server (no support or requests)

Re: MKV vs. VOB - Why use MKV?

Postby Clumpco » Wed Jan 28, 2009 9:13 pm

If I could add my opinion on this.

As stated above mkv2vob generally just remuxes the mkv into a vob container. It only recodes when an "illegal" level is present or if subtitles are needed.

It would be very useful if PS3 Media Server had an option to remux to vob "on the fly" for those mkv files that meet the level requirements and when no subs are needed. This would reduce needed CPU and ensure perfect quality - I have to run with the "crazy" mencoder setting and with h264 loop turned off to get a result where I can't tell the difference between the transcoded MPEG and the original AVC. With 1080 videos this takes almost all my E6600 cpu power, with some stuttering on very complex scenes. If it was just a remux I would not have this problem. (FYI I'm using gigabit Ethernet, not wireless).

So despite all the advantages of recoding to MPEG, the option of just remuxing would be most welcome.

Oh and by the way.. PMS makes TVersity suck pants - well done!
Clumpco

Postby ExSport » Wed Jan 28, 2009 9:22 pm

And what do you mean that tsMuxer do?
As I already wrote, tsMuxer do exactly same thing! So if you play MKV file with postfix [txMuxer], your movie will be remuxed only, much lower CPU impact and much lower bandwidth generated ;)
But tsMuxer will not create VOB container but M2TS :roll:
ExSport

Postby Clumpco » Wed Jan 28, 2009 9:36 pm

ExSport wrote:And what do you mean that tsMuxer do?
As I already wrote, tsMuxer do exactly same thing! So if you play MKV file with postfix [txMuxer], your movie will be remuxed only, much lower CPU impact and much lower bandwidth generated ;)
But tsMuxer will not create VOB container but M2TS :roll:

Ok, so I must have missed some setting in PMS.
Do you mean that if I put TSmuxer at the top of the list I will get m2ts sent to the PS3?
(/me goes away to try it out...]
(/me comes back...)

I feel really silly. hehe it's been there all the time.
Thanks mate!
Clumpco

Postby ExSport » Wed Jan 28, 2009 9:47 pm

Yes best way to move it at first place. But also without this change you can use tsMuxer. It is first file in #transcode# folder with postfix [txMuxer] in name 8-)
ExSport

Postby digitalrurouni » Wed Jan 28, 2009 10:06 pm

I tried using mkv2vob with the 1080p version of Top Gear's Polar Special, and that was a no go. I have only learned of this software recently. How reliable is that software really? Has anyone attempted viewing that particular episode using PMS?
digitalrurouni

Previous

Return to General Discussion