Directory Size - DLNA Error 2006

For help and support with PS3 Media Server in general
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply.

Directory Size - DLNA Error 2006

Postby Dan » Sat Jul 18, 2009 8:06 am

Hi,

Is there a limit to how many files can be in a directory with the newer versions (tried v1.10.51 and beta v1.11.350)?

Both of these newer versions resulted in constant DLNA 2006 error. After reading several posts in here, I reverted back to v1.04 and the problem went away, as well as the DLNA 2006 error.

Also, it might be helpful to know what Java version is need with which PS3MediaServer version.

I still find it amazing that a file (MPEG2 and 2Ch) with a bitrate of 1.2Mbps (according to the PS3) can take as much as 22 Mbps to upload from the PC (using nearly zero CPU - no encoding).

Edit: Subject line
Last edited by Dan on Wed Aug 12, 2009 7:11 pm, edited 3 times in total.
When I die, I want to go peacefully like my Grandfather did, in his sleep -- not screaming, like the passengers in his car.
Dan

Re: Directory Size

Postby shagrath » Sat Jul 18, 2009 8:39 am

mmm I would be happy to see how you obtain this 22mbps value
shagrath
Project Lead

Postby Dan » Sat Jul 18, 2009 10:39 am

Through DU Meter on the computer that was feeding the PS3 at the time. So we don't get too far off-topic, any thoughts on how many files can reside in a directory? Or, why the older version doesn't have the constant DLNA 2006 errors? Or, which version of Java is required so PS3MS works correctly?
When I die, I want to go peacefully like my Grandfather did, in his sleep -- not screaming, like the passengers in his car.
Dan

Postby shagrath » Sun Jul 19, 2009 12:41 pm

1.6 is the only mandatory requirement... can you disable the "http engine V2" option in general configuration tab, to see if this is changing anything ? (I doubt it, but still)
shagrath
Project Lead

Postby TheLlama » Tue Jul 28, 2009 2:59 am

I've got a couple folders with over 300 files, no issues. It's a little slow browsing but I'm not using the media library and it's pulling cover art, so no worries.
I'm a man of few words. Any questions?
--Capt. Tenille
TheLlama

Postby Uridium » Tue Jul 28, 2009 9:27 am

TheLlama wrote:I've got a couple folders with over 300 files, no issues. It's a little slow browsing but I'm not using the media library and it's pulling cover art, so no worries.

You should enable the media library even if you don't use it on the XMB as it will cache the cover art speeding up browsing your files through the XMB
Uridium

Postby Dan » Thu Aug 06, 2009 6:03 pm

Sorry for the delay in getting back to you. I had to get away from PS3 Media Server for awhile as it was driving me crazy trying to find a solution. Something is seriously wrong and I have a suspicion that the problem is with PS3 Media Server itself.

Here on my WinXP SP2 computer I have updated Java (I hate Java) to Version 6 Update 14. I have installed v1.11.356 of PS3 Media Server. I have disabled "http engine V2" as instructed. I removed the Web.conf (which had many video and audio sites). I have cleared all shared directories and have listed only the one video directory. There are 1953 files of MPEG type 1 and type 2 in there. I have "avi,mp3,mp4,mpg,mpeg,ts,vob" types listed as skip encoding as the PS3 can play these types of files without encoding.

I start PS3 Media Server and it shows up in the PS3 immediately. I go to the PS3 Media Server icon and select it with the X button. The directory shows up. That indicates to me that the connection between the PS3 Media Server and the router/computer is at least working. Additionally, PS3 has no problem with other wireless activities and as evident by being able to navigate directories, it appears that PS3MS is connecting fine.

I then go to the the only directory that shows up and press the X button. On the PC side JavaW.exe starts sucking up 50 percent CPU (this is with a P4 with Hyper-Threading enabled and one core is selected in PS3 Media Server encoder configuration). About 30 seconds later I get the dreaded "Media Server Error: A DLNA protocol error (2006) has occurred". Then 30 seconds after that I again get the "Media Server Error: A DLNA protocol error (2006) has occurred". Then the PS3 displays "There are no titles" which is BS considering that there are 1953 files of compatible video in the directory. This is mind numbingly endless.

I then delete the video directory from the shared folder options. Copy only the first file from the 1953 file video folder into it's own directory. Then add only the new shared directory in the shared folder options. Do all of the above and the directory and the single file is displayed and works.

It is for these reasons that I was wondering if there is a directory size limit. The first file works when it's by itself, but can't even get it to display in the PS3 when it is among the other 1952 video files and it's the first file. There is no indication that anything is happening, other than the CPU going through the roof for what appears to be no reason.

BTW, if I roll back PS3 Media Server to v1.04 the above problem goes away. Something about the new versions that have problems with directories with many files. I'm not understanding it from the searches I done, the instructions I've read or the FAQ and other sources of information that I managed to find.
Dan

Postby Dan » Fri Aug 07, 2009 1:05 am

TheLlama wrote:I've got a couple folders with over 300 files, no issues. It's a little slow browsing but I'm not using the media library and it's pulling cover art, so no worries.

I created a new directory on C: on the install drive (the source files were on E:, if that matters). In the new directory I copied 300 files of the same type (MPEG-2). Started PS3MS, went to the PS3 (which is 6 feet from the router) and after a long delay the file names eventually showed up. Quit PS3MS.

I then copied an additional 100 files into the new directory and restarted PS3MS. This time the PS3 reported the "Media Server Error: A DLNA protocol error (2006) has occurred" twice, followed by the usual "There are no titles". Quit PS3MS. After closing PS3MS, several minutes later JavaW.exe was still hogging the CPU, so I killed the process.

I then removed 50 files, now down to 350, and although the "Media Server Error: A DLNA protocol error (2006) has occurred" did display once, the files eventually showed up. Looks like there is a limit. And, that limit seems to be between 350 to 400 files per directory. :(

The limit isn't with the PS3 because using an older version of PS3MS doesn't have this problem. Perhaps the file names or whatever is taking place, happens sooner with the older versions. The newer versions take their time and are timing out the connection to the PS3. Perhaps there needs to be a keep-alive sent or something for it to work correctly?

Looking up "Media Server Error: A DLNA protocol error (2006) has occurred" doesn't yield any useful information as to what exactly is a DLNA 2006 error. If I was to take a guess I think it means the connection failed.
Dan

Postby Dan » Fri Aug 07, 2009 11:02 pm

It looks to me that PS3MS is wasting a lot of time looking at video files which have extensions marked as excluded. This appears to cause a "Dribble Effect" of data being sent back to the PS3. The PS3 waiting for something to happen, times out and kicks out the 2006 error. Unlike Baseball, two errors and the PS3 is out [of there] or rather stops listening altogether. So the more files contained in a directory, the more likely this will happen.

Although it is not entirely clear just how many files are needed for this to happen. I said before that it was between 350 and 400. Today I tried it again with 400 and while the "Media Server Error: A DLNA protocol error (2006) has occurred" showed it's ugly head, PS3MS managed to get the files to list before the second and fatal display of error 2006. So, it varies slightly each time.
Dan

Postby Dan » Sun Aug 09, 2009 12:47 pm

What exactly does the Media Library Cache do?

I have it enabled, but as soon as I have to restart the server, all the information has to be resent back to the PS3. Which in turn can cause the "Media Server Error: A DLNA protocol error (2006) has occurred" to repeatedly happen. Also, I connected the PS3 with a CAT cable and there was no observable improvement. With one exception. In addition to the DLNA 2006 error, there is now a lot of DLNA 2104 errors. So, it's not about the speed of the connection. To me, PS3MS appears to be wasting an enormous amount of time caching something that ultimately doesn't get used between restarts, rather what it should be doing is start sending directory contents to the PS3 sooner. This also accounts for why the CPU usage is still through the roof after entering a directory with many files and closing PS3MS. Quitting PS3MS doesn't really quit PS3MS. It continues to build a database, that when restarted, it won't use.

Also, it appears while this is happening only one thing can happen at a time. For example, I get the first couple of directory entries to appear. I start playback of the first video file. Shortly after playback begins, I press the circle button on the PS3 controller to cancel playback and the directory listing has stopped. I would think that it could load the directory contents and play videos to occupy the long amount of time it will take to completely send the entire directory contents over to the PS3. Seems to only get about 10 entries with every burst of data, taking upwards of 40 minutes the first time the data is sent. While little CPU or network usage is required for the sending of this data, I don't see why it takes so long for it to complete. Of course, once the PS3 has it, it's much faster. That is as long as you don't restart the server, or do anything else with the PS3. Then you are back to square one.

I do certainly hope that these problems can get addressed in future versions of PS3MS. Since most of us are left on our own to fend for ourselves around here, it would be nice if someone in the know could please address these theories.
Dan

Next

Return to General Help and Support