My server never ran right using the install as service function on PMS. Since installing the service per these instructions, it has ran flawlessly. To have PS3 Media Server run as a service and auto-start when you computer boots..
1) If running, shut down PS3 Media Server
2) Download Windows Server 2003 Resource Kits Tools and install
3) Open command prompt (run as administrator) and type in this command.
"C:\Program Files (x86)\Windows Resource Kits\Tools\Instsrv.exe" "PS3 Media Server" "C:\Program Files (x86)\Windows Resource Kits\Tools\Srvany.exe"
This is the default directory for Windows 7 64 bit VERIFY YOUR PATHWAY!!!
4) Once you receive the message that the service has been installed successfully, use the Windows "Run" command and type in regedit, then find this key:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\PS3 Media Server
5) Add a new sub-key called Parameters.
6) In the Parameters key, create a new string value named Application.
7) Set the value data of Application to the full path of the executable file. For example, C:\Program Files (x86)\PS3 Media Server\PMS.exe" Save and close the registry editor.
8) Go back to the "Run" command and type services.msc, find PS3 Media Server and start the service.