nVidia PureVideo HD Question

For help and support with PS3 Media Server in general
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply.

nVidia PureVideo HD Question

Postby xD4rKn1GhTx » Wed Jul 08, 2009 1:02 am

Hey guys, first and foremost, love this program. IMO, this is by far the best media server i have used.

Here's the question. I just tried the trial verson of CoreAVC and I actually do see some improvements with the CPU usuage. However, i was always wondering if buying Purevideo Hd is worth it? Does anyone have it and have feedback on it? I heard it works wonders on nonHD gpu's, which i currently have on my laptop (HP dv9930us w/ 8600m gs gpu) I have this question because I don't think my cpu can handle 720p material b/c, last time i checked, both my cores were running at around 94% when i was transcoding an anime. So, anyone have experience with Purevideo HD? Thanks

Those that don't know about PureVideo HD and would like to learn more about it, here ya go: http://www.nvidia.com/page/purevideo_hd.html
xD4rKn1GhTx

Re: nVidia PureVideo HD Question

Postby bahamot » Wed Jul 08, 2009 4:41 am

Dunno, but I think CoreAVC and PureVideo HD would be about the same ...
bahamot

Postby hk007 » Wed Jul 08, 2009 2:30 pm

"PureVideo is a hardware feature designed to offload video decoding processes and video post-processing from a computer's CPU hardware to NVIDIA's GPU" - Wiki: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nvidia_PureVideo

You don't have to buy it -- if you have a supported GPU and latest drivers, you already have it. It is support by WMP. The only thing you can buy is NVIDIA PureVideo decoder -- but you don't need to buy it to take advantage of PureVideo technology.

Now, the only part i'm not familiar with is how can we tell weather or not WMP is taking advantage of PureVideo when playing H264 content. Btw, I have Win 7 RC - playing a 1080p mkv using WMP took very little CPU, whereas playing the same file using Media Player Classic (from the CCCP pack) was using more then 50% of my CPU (Core 2 Duo 3Ghz).
hk007

Postby Topguy » Wed Jul 08, 2009 3:27 pm

PureVideo doesnt give you much since its only used during decoding. CoreAVC is an encoder and its mainly the encoding part that hogs your CPU while transcoding.
Topguy

Postby ExSport » Wed Jul 08, 2009 4:12 pm

You are wrong. CoreAVC is renderer only.It means decoder not encoder.
You need decoder which supports HW decoding(PureVideo featrue on Nvidia cards)
ExSport

Postby xD4rKn1GhTx » Wed Jul 08, 2009 11:38 pm

hk007 wrote:"PureVideo is a hardware feature designed to offload video decoding processes and video post-processing from a computer's CPU hardware to NVIDIA's GPU" - Wiki: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nvidia_PureVideo

You don't have to buy it -- if you have a supported GPU and latest drivers, you already have it. It is support by WMP. The only thing you can buy is NVIDIA PureVideo decoder -- but you don't need to buy it to take advantage of PureVideo technology.

Now, the only part i'm not familiar with is how can we tell weather or not WMP is taking advantage of PureVideo when playing H264 content. Btw, I have Win 7 RC - playing a 1080p mkv using WMP took very little CPU, whereas playing the same file using Media Player Classic (from the CCCP pack) was using more then 50% of my CPU (Core 2 Duo 3Ghz).

What gpu are you using?

So you guys saying it would have no other effect since i am already running CoreAVC?
xD4rKn1GhTx

Return to General Help and Support