CAT5 PC to PS3

For help and support with PS3 Media Server in general
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply.

Re: CAT5 PC to PS3

Postby chrissiecool » Sat Jul 04, 2009 5:36 pm

with such a nice attitude :roll: i'm amazed that anyone is even bothering to try and help you
chrissiecool

Postby otmanix » Sat Jul 04, 2009 6:27 pm

So you said the connection between PC and PS3 works fine with CAT5 cable (without crossover adapter). I didn't try that yet but you may be right.
Next thing you said is you can't replace the router but it's causing all the trouble in your bridge.

So I suggest don't use bridging with Windows. Make a seperate subnet for your PCs wired network card and PS3. You can manually setup IP adresses like 192.168.200.1 for nic and 192.168.200.2 for PS3, both netmask 255.255.255.0 . You have to change PMS setting to use your wired nic for broadcasts. The disadvantage is that your PS3 isn't able to connect to the internet.
To make this happen your PC has to be router for your PS3.
The easiest way for you may be to setup ICS on your wired nic. The PC will than be DHCP-server, DNS-proxy and router/gateway for your PS3.

ICS howto: http://support.microsoft.com/?scid=kb%3Ben-us%3B306126&x=20&y=18

P.S.
You started a thread without giving all infos about your environment. So don't blame everyone for your inability to correctly describe a problem.
I provide NO application support via PM, so please post your question to the forum.
PS3 Media Server related articles on my blog: http://otmanix.de/?cat=11&lang=en
otmanix

Postby ExSport » Sat Jul 04, 2009 11:50 pm

I you are connected via WIFI but router is not stable and also you don't want to use cable, then how you can connect PC and PS3??????? ;)
If your WIFI connection will be dropped, and you will not have another connection(CAT5 cable) then how you can fix your problem?
If only wifi connection is made and you lost it, don't expect that your PC will have any connection ;) Forgot it!
Also please don't be so rude if you need help from somebody ;)
ExSport

Postby bahamot » Sun Jul 05, 2009 3:32 am

Perhaps there's wrong setting on your PC? Maybe disable connection sharing on your PC?
bahamot

Postby zomgheals » Sun Jul 05, 2009 5:22 am

Okay, done the method otmanix said,
works fine.

Internet connection working now too.

Thanks.

In the end: Nothing else was needed to be bought. it now has a 'private' network in a way.

also transcodes at about 170mbps which is very nice :D

ONE more quick problem: Soft Subs on PMS are not the same as the ones from my show(font). Anyway to fix?
zomgheals

Postby meskibob » Sun Jul 05, 2009 5:48 am

zomgheals wrote:ONE more quick problem: Soft Subs on PMS are not the same as the ones from my show(font). Anyway to fix?

Try checking the "Use ASS default style" checkbox under the MEncoder settings.
I provide NO application support via PM or email, so please post your question to the forum per the Forum Rules.
meskibob

Postby zomgheals » Sun Jul 05, 2009 5:55 am

Yeah, i have

No different :(

also with our without (Soul Eater 720p) its out of sync on PMS (Subs)
zomgheals

Postby otmanix » Sun Jul 05, 2009 6:16 am

@zomgheals
In the end everything is fine... Nice to hear that.
Nevertheless I would also try to replace the router ;)
It seems you have a working connection between PS3 and PC via CAT5 cable. Normally you need a crossover cable or at least a crossover adapter when not using a switch/hub. It seems that in this case auto mdi/mdi-x is working fine: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ethernet_crossover_cable#Automatic_crossover

@ExSport
The setup was wireless connection between PC and router and wired connection between PC and PS3. Zomgheals created a bridge with Windows which connected wireless and wired network - which means all devices are in the same subnet. The loss of wireless connectivity also affected the bridge and therefore the wired connection too.
The solution is to not use the bridge but create an additional subnet for PS3 and PC wired connection. To enable Internet for PS3 one can use Internet connection sharing (ICS) on the PCs wired NIC which will enable router, DNS-proxy and DHCP-server on the PC (only on that NIC!). One can then make automatic IP-setup on PS3.
ICS was intended to connect other Windows-PCs to Internet when only one Windows-PC has a dial up modem connection. The technology can also be used to connect other operating systems to internet because it's using standard technology. It also doesn't have to be a dial up modem connection - every access method which is avialable on Windows will work - in this case a wireless connection to the router has been used.
I provide NO application support via PM, so please post your question to the forum.
PS3 Media Server related articles on my blog: http://otmanix.de/?cat=11&lang=en
otmanix

Postby ExSport » Sun Jul 05, 2009 11:04 am

Otmanix:
I am quite well familiar with networking(Cisco CCNA) so I know what you are talking about :mrgreen:
But when somebody say that he don't want use CAT5 cable between PC and PS3 you can't use ICS(internet sharing). Also I already pointed on this thema(ICS) but also said that in this case when PC will be OFF, PS3 will be without internet ;)
New solution what is now is exactly what zomgheals doesn't wanted at all ==> use crossover cable between PC and PS3 :mrgreen:
But maybe "cable all over there" is better then invest any money for more stable solution 8-)
ExSport

Postby zomgheals » Sun Jul 05, 2009 11:08 am

@exsport

ps3 and pc are working PERFECTLY fine with a cat5 cable (no it's not a crossover).
as for the pc off and no internet, if i'm up my PC is up. if im asleep, my PC is asleep - works like a charm.

In the end there was no need to invest more money. It's how i want it to be now which is what i was wanting entire time
zomgheals

PreviousNext

Return to General Help and Support