1080p .MKV files with Subs

For help and support with PS3 Media Server in general
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply.

1080p .MKV files with Subs

Postby fish » Fri Jul 03, 2009 9:32 pm

First of all, amazing media server. Best I've encountered.

Having a bit of trouble with one particular situation. Streaming HD 1080p .MKV files that have subs.

I'm running windows Vista with 2GB of RAM, Core2 Duo processor. My PS3 is wired to the router and PMS is on a laptop with Wifi.

When I try and play 1080p .MKV files I have really bad stuttering unless I switch to tsMuxer. The problem with that is that I cannot watch movies with subtitles in that case, as far as I know.

As for using MEncoder, I've done some searching/reading and cannot seem to get the HD videos to play without major stuttering (SD videos and even 720p AVIs work fine). I've put a BW limit as low as 6Mbps, tried setting Video Quality in the drop-down to the option that says Low Quality for Wifi Transcoding, and still no luck. The stuttering usually occurs around the 20Mbps (but not when using tsMuxer even at high Mbps).

I've done a fair share of testing and reading but I am stumped by these questions:

1. Is there any way to use subtitles where using tsMuxer?
2. Any way to use MEncoder to play these files without the stuttering?
3. Is it normal that the bandwidth limit isn't being respected?
4. When using tsMuxer, buffer status and current bitrate on the status page of PMS are about 5x more than when using MEncoder but tsMuxer shows now stuttering. How come?

Thanks a bunch, looking forwarding to getting this working perfectly. :)

-Fish
fish

Re: 1080p .MKV files with Subs

Postby bahamot » Sat Jul 04, 2009 11:20 am

I've tried 1080p mkv without issue. My PC is also Core2Duo (E4400, what's yours?) + 2 GB RAM but I'm on gigabit switch.
bahamot

Postby meskibob » Sat Jul 04, 2009 11:42 pm

fish wrote:1. Is there any way to use subtitles where using tsMuxer?
No
fish wrote:2. Any way to use MEncoder to play these files without the stuttering?
You need to specify a reasonable bandwidth limit (try 15mbps) and reduce the quality settings. If it ends up that the transcode buffer remains empty, even with reduced quality, then your CPU isn't fast enough. If the buffer is filling, then the video is outside of the capabilities of your wifi network and you will need to completely wire your connection.
fish wrote:3. Is it normal that the bandwidth limit isn't being respected?
The bitrate the PS3 provides is crap when the video is stuttering.
fish wrote:4. When using tsMuxer, buffer status and current bitrate on the status page of PMS are about 5x more than when using MEncoder but tsMuxer shows now stuttering. How come?
tsMuxer is just remuxing, while MEncoder has to transcode the video. The latter is much more resource intensive, meaning the buffer won't fill up as quickly.
I provide NO application support via PM or email, so please post your question to the forum per the Forum Rules.
meskibob

Postby fish » Mon Jul 06, 2009 4:02 pm

Ok, thanks for the replies so far. So from what it looks like my issue is that I can't get a healthy buffer going.

I have a Core2Duo T5450 2.00Ghz. Is my processor not up to the task? I even tried the lowest video quality settings in the dropdown menu and still no luck getting a buffer going.

Any other ideas to get these 1080p movies to get transcoded quicker even when the lowest video quality setting doesn't seem to improve the situation?
fish

Postby bahamot » Mon Jul 06, 2009 4:49 pm

If your GPU is NVIDIA and reasonably recent one, you can try using AviSynth+ffmpeg+CoreAVC: http://otmanix.de/english/2009/06/01/ja ... -avisynth/
bahamot

Postby fish » Mon Jul 06, 2009 6:02 pm

Unfortunately my GPU is not NVIDIA...
fish

Postby meskibob » Mon Jul 06, 2009 6:31 pm

Should have clarified earlier: the max bandwidth setting is used to balance CPU load with the output bitrate that is sent through the network. The low network bandwidth (Wifi) directly relates to the overloaded the CPU, so increasing the available bandwidth (by using homeplugs or even better wiring the connection to 100mbit or gigabit) will help reduce the CPU load. It will probably still end up that you won't be able to losslessly transcode your 1080P with the given processor spec, but you should be able to make it work with slightly reduced quality settings.
I provide NO application support via PM or email, so please post your question to the forum per the Forum Rules.
meskibob

Postby fish » Mon Jul 06, 2009 6:34 pm

Hey, to clarify on my part as well, this morning when I tried the lowest quality settings I put bandwidth limit to 0 to test and still no improvement with buffering. Maybe my processor just can't handle it. :(
fish

Postby bahamot » Tue Jul 07, 2009 3:25 am

Even though sometimes I need to wait the buffer at the beginning, my PC processor [Core2Duo E4400 (2.0GHz)] can handle 1080P.
bahamot

Postby fish » Tue Jul 07, 2009 3:34 am

bahamot wrote:Even though sometimes I need to wait the buffer at the beginning, my PC processor [Core2Duo E4400 (2.0GHz)] can handle 1080P.

What settings are you using? Max B/W, Video quality, any special codecs etc... I'm willing to try anything!
fish

Next

Return to General Help and Support