Newbie question about transcoding/remuxing

General discussion about PS3 Media Server (no support or requests)

Newbie question about transcoding/remuxing

Postby lemmy » Tue Jun 30, 2009 4:30 pm

I have 1.10.51 installed and I have read on the forum and there are a couple of things I can't figure out. I am pretty sure that if I am playing a file that the PS3 can't play, then MEncoder is used to transcode this file to MPEG2 (M2TS container?) so that it can play it. Also, if it is a file that the PS3 can play and there are no subtitles, then it remuxes and sends the file to the PS3. If subtitles are involved (like for a ISO file) then it has to use MEncoder to transcode so the subtitles are available.

But when there is no transcoding taking place, what is doing the remuxing? Is it TsMuxer or MEncoder? What determinies if TsMuxer or MEncoder is used. Also, the AviSynth/FFmpeg and Avisynth/MEncoder options show that "the engine is not loaded". Do I need to install AviSynth separately to get this to work? I guess I just don't understand how to get the program to use MEncoder or AviSynth (if I had AviSynth working). If all of this information is available somewhere, I am more than happy to go learn myself, but it is difficult when there is only a forum to learn from. Thanks.
lemmy

Re: Newbie question about transcoding/remuxing

Postby otmanix » Tue Jun 30, 2009 5:02 pm

Howto is here: http://otmanix.de/english/2009/05/13/java-ps3-media-server-for-dummies-chapter-1-introduction/
- remuxing is done by tsmuxer, even when mencoder is default transcoding engine if a specific option is checked: "switch to tsmuxer..."
- for configuring avisynth read howto chapter 5
I provide NO application support via PM, so please post your question to the forum.
PS3 Media Server related articles on my blog: http://otmanix.de/?cat=11&lang=en
otmanix

Postby lemmy » Tue Jun 30, 2009 5:54 pm

Thanks! Exactly what I was looking for.
lemmy

Postby Tashfinz » Sat Aug 06, 2011 9:52 pm

I need help the Avisynth/MEencoder and Avisynth/FFmpeg doesn't work I even clicked on the black plug button and it doesn't work HELP! PLEASE! ANYONE! :o
Tashfinz

Return to General Discussion