M2TS Streaming (Audio and Video)

For help and support with PS3 Media Server in general
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply.

M2TS Streaming (Audio and Video)

Postby ecn113 » Thu Jun 11, 2009 2:18 am

I have asked before but wanted to check if anyone has had any progess. Trying to stream VC1 encoded m2ts files. From what I understand this will not work until PS3 has a firmware update to support VC1 stream.

On the audio side I have been testing with DTS, DTS-MA, TrueHD, and LPCM. I have down converted TrueHD using TsMux and works fine. I have not had luck with keeping DTS/DTS-MA in the m2ts container and streaming to PS3. I just recently discovered that the PS3 has optical audio out which can support DTS and LPCM if selected. I am not sure if this is possible or if I am using the wrong combination of PS3 optical audio settings and PMS DTS audio settings. The LPCM will stream but only play the background music and no voices.

Has anyone had any luck with any of this? I will update this thread when I test more cases.

Thanks
ecn113

Re: M2TS Streaming (Audio and Video)

Postby ecn113 » Sat Jun 13, 2009 10:38 am

Anyone know anything about DTS streaming or PS3 audio/PS3MS settings?
ecn113

Postby rozel » Sat Jun 13, 2009 11:08 am

Hi M8

I only download .mkv files which include a 1080p video track and a DTS audio track.

In Transcoding Settings tick "Keep DTS audio in stream".

Yes connect your PS3 to your amp using an optical cable and you will have no problems replaying DTS audio and Dolby Digital tracks - they sound superb with the correct equipment!

However as far as DTS Master and Dolby Tru are conserned, I do not have a HDMI equipped amp - if I had I still do not believe you can stream these audio tracks yet but understand that the DVD-Player of the PS3 can output these to a HDMI equipped amp.

I use a dedicated DVD player with 7.1 analougue inputs which match my amp's 7.1 input sockets and set the player to Bitstream mmmmmmmmmmmmmm magic!

Just wish the PS3 had similar output sockets and PS3MS could stream these signals.

Please correct me somebody if I have anything wrong here.

roz
rozel

Postby coo-coo » Sun Jun 14, 2009 3:01 am

I use Ripbot to take my bluray discs and create the m2ts file (use the AVCHD output option).
My example for you: The "Planet Earth" discs are VC1 encoded.
My PS3 is connected via HDMI to my Sony DG820, and it plays 5.1 nicely on this m2ts file streamed by PS3MS.

I use this method for all my bluray discs and it works great. I am struggling with my regular dvds though - not sure how best to rip them, put them in h.264 and then into a container that the PS3MS will handle as nicely as the blu ray m2ts files.
coo-coo

Postby ecn113 » Mon Jun 15, 2009 4:28 am

Thanks for options I will test them out. You mentioned a VC1 disc that you use rip bot on. Have you been able to stream the VC1 m2ts? I have heard that PS3 does not support this and this is why it is so choppy when I play them. The VC1 discs I have not been able to stream without being choppy in the first 30s. Does the AVCHD output change the VC1 encoding? If so how long does it take?

Also as for DVDs I use shrink without compression and create VOB files. I take thhe movie VOB and rename it along with a cover jpg and them save the rest of files in another area in case i need them for burning. This has worked pretty well so far.
ecn113

Postby coo-coo » Wed Jun 17, 2009 4:47 am

ecn113 wrote:You mentioned a VC1 disc that you use rip bot on. Have you been able to stream the VC1 m2ts? I have heard that PS3 does not support this and this is why it is so choppy when I play them. The VC1 discs I have not been able to stream without being choppy in the first 30s. Does the AVCHD output change the VC1 encoding? If so how long does it take?

Yes, the planet earth disks stream just fine in the m2ts container. I don't know what ripbot264 does really (I'm still fairly new at this video conversion hobby). I do know that the processing takes a very long time for these disks and I have a beefy processor (Q9550).

ecn113 wrote:Also as for DVDs I use shrink without compression and create VOB files. I take the movie VOB and rename it along with a cover jpg and them save the rest of files in another area in case i need them for burning. This has worked pretty well so far.

Thanks. Which tool do you use for shrinking/creating the VOB files? Where do you find the cover jpgs for thumbs?
coo-coo

Return to General Help and Support