Working on OpenSolaris 2009.06... but how to do headless???

General discussion about PS3 Media Server (no support or requests)

Re: Working on OpenSolaris 2009.06... but how to do headless???

Postby AustinPowersISU » Fri Jun 12, 2009 8:32 pm

I haven't had much time lately to continue work on this.

I still can't get mplayer to compile with gcc4. This weekend I'm going to post our problems to the mplayer devs and see what they say on the matter.
AustinPowersISU

Postby AustinPowersISU » Sat Jun 13, 2009 2:00 am

I got transcoding to work!

We must use GCC 4 for both ffmpeg amd mplayer.

I will update the instructions I made earlier in this thread with the steps required.
AustinPowersISU

Postby AustinPowersISU » Sat Jun 13, 2009 2:52 am

Compiling instruction post has been updated to use GCC4 for everything. Enjoy (hopefully these instructions work for others)!
AustinPowersISU

Postby adamretter » Sun Jun 14, 2009 6:26 pm

Great stuff thanks :-) This is an excellent resource.

Will also continue trying to get it all building with SFE, so that in the future this can be a nice easy process.
adamretter

Postby dannix » Tue Jun 16, 2009 8:25 pm

Have followed the install post remotley from work, all compiled and appears to be in good order. Just need to actually test on PS3 when I get home. Very excited now, have not got this close before. Thank you so much guys! Just need to sort this SMB/CIFS hanging, all being well with transcode.
dannix

Postby dannix » Wed Jun 17, 2009 3:56 pm

Didn't work for me, upon investigation found the PATH var had reset after reboot. So manually edited $HOME/.profile to survive rebooting. Now the path is correct should work. Of course I'm now at work and unable to check. I have also setup a startup script to launch PMS which appears to be working. I will know better tonight.
dannix

Postby adamretter » Wed Jun 17, 2009 4:06 pm

Sure do let us know. I have some SMF scripts and descriptors here which I will release eventually which should allow you to deploy ps3mediaserver into SMF.

In the mean time I am still fighting with using the official Sun tools and SFE to build SFEmplayer packages. I am making progress slowly I think...
adamretter

Postby dannix » Wed Jun 17, 2009 8:49 pm

I used legacy startup so the SMF scripts would be great. I work for Sun (H/W not S/W) and was hoping some info would be available internally, or at least get SNV 114 before it's release to dev, no luck so far but finding the right place to look is always a chore itself. Have you managed to get full functionality out of PMS so far?
dannix

Postby dannix » Thu Jun 18, 2009 4:39 pm

It worked just fine! can play my .avi library and DVD VOB's just fine. I tried to play a .iso of a DVD and it crashed PMS but I'm not sure if that is supported anyway. No clicking or juddering during the short duration I played them, on a wired home gigabit network. I didn't need to transcode but transcode is working with little CPU usage. Just need to try some HD stuff but I don't have much of it anyway. Thanks again for documenting your efforts, wouldn't have got it working without your help!
dannix

Postby AustinPowersISU » Thu Jun 18, 2009 10:31 pm

dannix wrote:It worked just fine! can play my .avi library and DVD VOB's just fine. I tried to play a .iso of a DVD and it crashed PMS but I'm not sure if that is supported anyway. No clicking or juddering during the short duration I played them, on a wired home gigabit network. I didn't need to transcode but transcode is working with little CPU usage. Just need to try some HD stuff but I don't have much of it anyway. Thanks again for documenting your efforts, wouldn't have got it working without your help!

Great to hear!

I've been extremely happy with PS3 Media Server running on OpenSolaris. Once everything was compiled with GCC4 it has been rock stable for me. I haven't tried playing a DVD .iso file however.
AustinPowersISU

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion