Official thread for non-ps3 renderers (Bravia, etc.)

Discuss alternative media renderers (not PS3) supported by PS3 Media Server (e.g. Xbox 360, TVs &c.)

Re: Has anyone tested other streaming clients with new PMS 1.11?

Postby MrB » Wed Jun 10, 2009 12:33 am

Thanx alot otmanix,
the PMS now works with the sony bravia tv :-)
MP3, JPG and AVI work fine.

I would not spend 250€ more for the option to connect a sat tuner, but the store offers it to me for the same price as the KDL46W5500E because they run out of stock for the KDL46W5500E and promised me one.
MrB

Postby 0469580 » Wed Jun 10, 2009 2:02 pm

Hi all,
First of all I wanted to say PMS is an excellent program. I tried other media servers, but none of them support my Sony Bravia 40V5500 as well as PMS does.

Yesterday I tried version 1.20 from Otmanix and I was able to play most videos (except a MKV 1080p, it was all scrambled but that's probably because it wasn't tested yet). But the problem is, all movies are nicely streamed, but after a couple minutes the transcoding buffer is completly empty and the movie pauses, but the transcode buffer isn't filling up after that. The average CPU usage (a Intel Q6600) is about 27%, when encoding. No real spikes. I tried lowering the video quality settings to keyint=25:vqmax=8:vqmin=3, but the buffer is always empty at the exact same time as when I use the high quality settings.
After that I decreased buffer size to 200, set maximum bandwidth limit to 100. It didn't help.
Then I tried setting 'minvideobuffer = 400', but the buffer fills around ~160Mb and then starts playing the movie.

Is there another way to let the buffer fill completely before it starts streaming? Or is it possible to built in a pause/resume functionality for bravia?

Below you will find the specs of my computer and network.

- your computer specs (cpu, memory) and the precise server version you're using
Intel Core2 Quad CPU Q6600, 4GB RAM, Vista Ultimate 32bit SP2

- the network connection you are using for streaming your files (wifi, homeplugs, ethernet 100Mbits, or gigabit)
Gigabit

- if you're transcoding some videos, which engine are you using ? (mencoder, avisynth/mencoder, tsmuxer)
Mencoder

- if you are streaming to anything other than a PS3, please mention it
Streaming to a Sony Bravia 40V5500.

Postby Lars » Wed Jun 10, 2009 8:38 pm

I've had the same problem. Streaming from PS3 media server to Bravia worked fluently but stopped after two or three minutes. For me it seemed the reason could be found in the version of MEncoder used by build 341 of ps3 media server. I downloaded another mencoder.exe from its home page. After that my videos did not pause any more.
Lars

Postby shagrath » Wed Jun 10, 2009 9:24 pm

Lars wrote: I downloaded another mencoder.exe from its home page. After that my videos did not pause any more.

which one ?
shagrath
Project Lead

Postby Lars » Wed Jun 10, 2009 9:35 pm

This one: MPlayer-p4-svn-29312.7z
I don't know whether this was a good choice - but at least it solved my problem.
Lars

Postby 0469580 » Wed Jun 10, 2009 11:45 pm

Thanks Lars! It worked like a charm!
Did you manage to get HD movies streaming without hickups and get a/v in sync, or get audio at all?
I installed the CoreAVC decoder 1.9. It sends the stream to the bravia, but shocky. The CPU load is about 80 percent when buffering. Once the buffer is full, the CPU usage drops to ~35 percent, but the stream is still being shown in slow motion. Network utililzation is about 2 percent.

Postby runnr_az » Thu Jun 11, 2009 2:55 am

Is there a way to set the default file extension with *.conf files?

... if so, it seems like we could get iphone support going, complete with auto-scaling on the server end.

This is what I've got so far. It doesn't work with any of the renderers I've tried, though. It does list the files just fine -- that's not the issue -- it just doesn't want to play them. I might just be missing something, though, in terms of what the iphone expects in terms of data....

Code: Select all
# ps3mediaserver renderer profile for iphone
# Refer to PS3.conf for help

RendererName=iPhone
RendererIcon=xbox360.png #should be changed
UserAgentSearch=Darwin|CyberGarage|iPhone|Apple
Video=true
Audio=true
Image=true
SeekByTime=false
TranscodeVideo=MPEGAC3
TranscodeAudio=MP3
DefaultVBVBufSize=true
MuxH264ToMpegTS=false
MuxDTSToMpeg=false
WrapDTSIntoPCM=false
MuxLPCMToMpeg=false
#iphone doesn't like wmvs with huge bitrate
MaxVideoBitrateMbps=1.5
MaxVideoWidth=480
MaxVideoHeight=320
TranscodeExtensions=avi,divx,wav,mpeg,mpe,ts,tp,m2t,m2ts,m2p,mts,vob,gif,tif,tiff,png,bmp
MimeTypeChanges=video/avi=video/x-mp4
MimeTypeChanges=video/divx=video/x-mp4
runnr_az

Postby Lars » Thu Jun 11, 2009 11:08 am

0469580 wrote:Did you manage to get HD movies streaming without hickups and get a/v in sync

I've got a rather old single core pentium pc (2.6 MHz), so I do have hickups with hd movies (not with sd movies) and hd material cannot be watched fluently. But, as I said, I think it's just a matter of performance. With Avisynth/MEncoder I sometimes happened to have some a/v sync problems which seemed to be solved by switching over to "MEncoder" only. I do not know whether this was just by accident or really the reason, I am not such a media expert.
Lars

Postby Andi787 » Thu Jun 11, 2009 3:38 pm

Hello together,
at first i have to say a big THANK YOU to shagrath an all other developers. The PMS is now working well together with my BRAVIA KDL 40W5500. Its wonderful to see a real living project. Maybe some other features eg. pause fastforward and rewind will be implemented in future releases.

Lars wrote:
0469580 wrote:Did you manage to get HD movies streaming without hickups and get a/v in sync

I've got a rather old single core pentium pc (2.6 MHz), so I do have hickups with hd movies (not with sd movies) and hd material cannot be watched fluently. But, as I said, I think it's just a matter of performance. With Avisynth/MEncoder I sometimes happened to have some a/v sync problems which seemed to be solved by switching over to "MEncoder" only. I do not know whether this was just by accident or really the reason, I am not such a media expert.

Streaming of various SD videos to the TV worked great now I face the same problems than Lars and 0469580. Streaming of HD stuff will not work fluently. I use a Athlon X2 System the NIC is working withh 100Mbps. Due buffering i see almost 100% CPU usage after buffering about 50% to 60% the network usage is about 30%. Now i am looking for the bottleneck in my system. I think the focus should be up to the Network because the system is able to fill the transcoding buffer. Has anyone a idea here?

**UPDATE*************************************************************************************************************
I tried out to work with the Quality settings:

keyint=1:vqscale=1:vqmin=1 /* Lossless Quality, Crazy Bitrate */
--> multiple hickups per second ;-(

keyint=25:vqmax=5:vqmin=2 /* Good quality for HD Wifi Transcoding */
--> hickups every 2 seconds

keyint=25:vqmax=8:vqmin=3 /* Low quality, Low-end CPU or HD Wifi Transcoding */
--> hickups every 2-3 secondy

So as i can see that the buffer is filled up with every setting i suppose the CPU (Athlon X2 5200+) should be powerful enough. The Setting with the best quality has the lowest CPU utilization (about 35%). But also the network performance should not be too bad i use wired a 100Mbps NW so the Server is connected direct to a switch and from this switch there is s direct connection to the TV.

Maybe I should try out a Gigabit switch....
*********************************************************************************************************************

THX Andi
Last edited by Andi787 on Thu Jun 11, 2009 9:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Andi787

Postby luup » Thu Jun 11, 2009 5:58 pm

Hi all,

thanks to all developers and debuggers for all your efforts. Finally it starting to work :D.
Has anybody already figured out how to stream VIDEO_TS folders? My Sony tells me that there is a folder called '[DVD ISO] VIDEO_TS {FILESYSTEM FOLDER NAME}' but when I select this folder, it just says the folder is empty. Any ideas how to tell the TV to play the main movie?

Thx.
luup

PreviousNext

Return to Alternative Media Renderers