transcoding and fast forward

For help and support with PS3 Media Server in general
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply.

transcoding and fast forward

Postby psebos » Tue Jun 09, 2009 8:47 pm

Hi,
I noticed that when transcoding (especially 1080p) and using fast forward, it is taking some time actually go forward.
(with both avisynth and mencoder).

I noticed also that when doing fast forward the PSM buffer is instantly emptied which means that it is not using the
buffer of fast forard but instead rerunning (?) the transcoding command.

Is there a way to do fastforward smoother? Can I add somehow say 10 seconds markers during the transcoding process or
something that will help me navigating throughout the movie?

Thanks!
psebos

Re: transcoding and fast forward

Postby ExSport » Tue Jun 09, 2009 9:17 pm

Did you read some posts in this forum? ;)
Many times answered....if you transcoding, forwarding will always skip because CPU is not so powerfull to do it in realtime.
If you want to skip to some place in movie, why you don't use GOTO function on PS3? ;)
When you will not transcode but only stream (not remux/re-encode/transcode) then FW/RW is working without skipping ;)
ExSport

Postby psebos » Wed Jun 10, 2009 6:47 am

oopps sorry :oops:
I thought that DLNA supports seeking on media. So I thought that by seeking on the video and given that there is enough on the buffer it should be able to seek normally (until buffer is empty). But unfortunately this is not the case. Whenever I press fast forward it automatically empties the buffer and starts transcoding again. Is this how the DLNA (or whatever) protocol works.

BTW is the streaming a standard TCP streaming or does it uses RTP/RTSP or something like that?

Thanks!
psebos

Postby shagrath » Wed Jun 10, 2009 11:39 am

use the goto feature, much responsive and simpler
shagrath
Project Lead

Postby psebos » Wed Jun 10, 2009 11:45 am

cool. Thanks!!!
psebos

Return to General Help and Support