Streaming Any Video Stops and Starts

For help and support with PS3 Media Server in general
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply.

Streaming Any Video Stops and Starts

Postby sekhu » Mon Jun 08, 2009 9:20 pm

computer specs: Core2Quad 2.3GHz, 4GB DDR2 800 RAM, Nvidia 9800GT, Windows Vista Ultimate using 1.10.51
network connection: 100/1000 Gigabit ethernet

Basically, this has been happening in the past couple of months or so. When watching a video, after 30 minutes or so the audio will cut out, then after a further 30 seconds of video, the video will freeze. If I leave it frozen for about a minute or two, it returns with the audio and the video continues playing picking up where the sound starts. Sometimes this can happen in 10 minute intervals.

I'm not sure what the problem is, but one solution is to press the Circle button on the pad which takes me back to the browsing screen on the ps3, then pressing x on the video file again to pick up where it cut off.

Can anyone suggest a resolution tot his problem? What's causing it and what can I do about it?

Thanks in advance
sekhu

Re: Streaming Any Video Stops and Starts

Postby duerra » Tue Jun 09, 2009 1:54 am

What kind of video are you trying to watch? Are you transcoding? Is it in HD? What is the drive you are reading from (local or external)? What version were you on previously?

I am having issues with my video not getting transcoded fast enough, even tho I have more than adequate hardware for the job.
duerra

Postby sekhu » Tue Jun 09, 2009 8:14 pm

Whether I'm watching divx/xvid encoded avi or x264 mkv's, the problem keeps happening.

I don't think I'm transcoding, with the avi files at least. Some of the videos are HD content. The drive I'm reading from is a local drive, and the previous version I was on 1.04 first, and then the version previous to 1.10.51.

This started happening with 1.04 after having no problems before, when it started happening I updated to the previous to the current version, that made no change and then I updated again to the latest release, and the problem is still there.
sekhu

Postby ayanematrix » Thu Jun 11, 2009 12:43 pm

If you don't mind me asking, what transcoding engine are you using when you watch your videos on the PS3? MEncoder, AviSynth/FFMPEG, AviSynth/MEncoder, or Tsmuxer? When things work out for me, Mencoder works usually pretty well, but when I have problems with a particular video with an oddball set of subs AviSynth/MEncoder tends to work in it's place.

Also, have you tried lowering the transcoding buffer to about 100-200 megs to see if it's a memory/virtual memory output problem? And, if you're using the PS3 in wireless mode, keep in mind that the files that would normally work without transcoding operate at a higher bitrate (in some cases anyway) than that of the transcoded file.

Another thing to also consider would be limiting the overall bitrate for transcoded media (8 to 15megs over wireless) so the PS3 can properly receive it. If it's on a wired network, then you'd need to see if your router is being overloaded by the information it's transmitting.

ACK! I totally realized that this may not help, but it's just a troubleshooting walk through that I normally go through when I have problems similar to yours.
ayanematrix

Postby sekhu » Tue Jun 16, 2009 4:26 pm

I believe MEncoder is the default that I use to stream. I've tried lowering the transcode but the problem still persists, and I'm using a wired setup to connect to the ps3. The router seems to be working fine. I've tried the same file in TVsersity, and it plays it without interruption. I don't know why I'm having this problem, but now I can't seem to resolve it.
sekhu

Return to General Help and Support