How do you deal with 100's of files?

For help and support with PS3 Media Server in general
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply.

How do you deal with 100's of files?

Postby heddhunter » Sun Jun 07, 2009 4:26 am

My movies folder has over 600 entries and it is really hard to find what I'm looking for. Particularly bad since the DVD folder rips show up first, then the single files, so if you're looking for something that starts with "N" you have to look in two different places, unless you know what format it is ahead of time.

What would be great is if PMS could make virtual folders for all the letters A-Z. That alone would be huge. Full media library support by title, year, genre, etc, would be phenomenal.
heddhunter

Re: How do you deal with 100's of files?

Postby JamminR » Sun Jun 07, 2009 10:19 pm

Actually, one thing I like about PS3 MS over Tversity is the fact it doesn't have extra folders involved.
It shows the way I have it in my folders.
There are too many ways to name a file that could easily be misplaced by an alphabetical sorting method.
3/4ths my movies would show up in "T", because the title has "The <blah blah>" as it's filename.

Instead, I have Comedy, Action, Drama, Animated, etc, and then sort even more into that if I feel the need.
JamminR

Postby heddhunter » Mon Jun 08, 2009 4:35 am

Yes but if you physically sort all your media into named folders like Action, Comedy, then you can't search by title, director, year, etc, and you have to remember if you put Tropic Thunder in Action or Comedy... Virtual tags are much better than folders.

But you've got me thinking - I could write a script to make a virtual directory structure using symlinks on my unix server and point PMS at that instead of the 'raw' directory. (Which I need to keep for my housemate who uses Plex...)
heddhunter

Postby Subject2Change » Thu Jun 11, 2009 4:02 pm

My movies folder is broken down like this;
!NOT SEEN Folder (use the ! to keep it at the top) inside that folder I break it down further to A-D, E-H, I-L, M-P, Q-T, U-Z
Any title with "The" at the beginning I rename to Movie, The.avi or whatever and use the first word to place instead of the The.

For movies I have seen I do the same A-D, E-H, I-L, M-P, Q-T, U-Z file structure. I wish there was a way to do the tags easy like Action, Comedy, Horror, etc as many movies fall in many categories and its hard to put it into one.

TV Shows is just by Series name, then inside that is broken down by Seasons.

I believe you can make a playlist with say all your comedies, all your action flicks, etc and just search through the playlist if you wanted.
Core2Duo E8400 (@ 3.0), 8gigs of Mushkin, Vista Home Premium SP2 64bit, 2.5 TB of Space, Wired to Linksys WRT54G wired to 80GB MGS4 PS3 on Sharp 32" 720p LCD TV
Subject2Change

Postby heddhunter » Fri Jun 12, 2009 1:05 am

Subject2Change wrote:For movies I have seen I do the same A-D, E-H, I-L, M-P, Q-T, U-Z file structure. I wish there was a way to do the tags easy like Action, Comedy, Horror, etc as many movies fall in many categories and its hard to put it into one.

TV Shows is just by Series name, then inside that is broken down by Seasons.

I wrote an insanely quick script to create virtual folders and symlink everything into the proper first letter, that helps a lot. If I'm feeling dedicated one of these days I may make one that looks up the movie on IMDB and creates the virtual genre, year, director symlinks too. Probably not any time soon as programming is my day job and I am usually too burned when I get home to do more!
heddhunter

Postby unabatedshagie » Fri Jun 12, 2009 4:18 pm

I just have my TV shows in one folder then have the series in subfolders. Movies are just in folders a-z.

I would love if there was some way of storing tags (like genre, artists, rating, played, not played (would be even better if PS3MS could mark a film as played when viewed)) in the media library then have the ability to create virtual folders like
Code: Select all
unplayed comedy movies by Tom Hanks
or
Code: Select all
all unplayed movies
unabatedshagie

Postby taconaut » Fri Jun 12, 2009 4:53 pm

This is precisely what I'd like to see as well. I've posted an idea here and hope to be able to release something at some point.
In the end you should be able to add custom tags as you want (this could be played=never, genre=action etc) and thus be able to apply any kind of tag to any subfolder.
That's for the idea, but there's a long way to go...

Here's how I see its evolution:
- Be able to customize views according to already collected data. That would be what's already stored by the media library (height, width, frame rate, codec...)
- Then you should be able to alter some entries manually. Hence it needs visual elements making this possible
- And finally, tags should come along where info can either be manually added/modified or collected on sites like IMDB. (jaqb already told me it would be OK to use his code to do that). Tags would be a key/value pair, e.g. key=genre value=action. Multiple tags with the same key can be added to one file

That's for the movie part, there's audio and pictures to think about as well.

If someone would like to help out or has ideas on how to improve the mechanisms I'd be happy to hear them.
If you always wanted to have your most recent videos at the top of the folder in the ps3 or wished you could group all videos with the same genre in one folder, have a look at pms-mlx
taconaut
Project Member

Return to General Help and Support