buffer horror

For help and support with issues specific to Linux/Unix
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply.

buffer horror

Postby smullie » Mon Jun 01, 2009 9:15 am

Hi there,

I'm using the PS3 media server for almost a year now with great pleasure.

Up till now I only streamed DVD iso files and mp3 / foto. But recently I bought a Full-HD tv and now i'm trying to stream 1080P x264 movies. After trying for days and reading the topics on this forum I just can't get it to work properly. The big problem is the buffer, this runs empty after a couple of minutes of video.

First of all my setup:
Ubuntu 9.04 X64
AMD athlon X2 7750 running @ 3,1Ghz (phenom core CPU I think?)
Asus m2a-VM motherboard
72GB WD raptor harddisk
8500GT videocard

My pc and PS3 have a wired gigabit connection through a netgear switch.

When watching video's the cpu cores are both active between 50% - 80% so multicore isn't an issue?

Can anyone help me solve this problem?

Thanks!
smullie

Re: buffer horror

Postby shagrath » Mon Jun 01, 2009 12:37 pm

actually, with a proper multicore mencoder build, both of your cores should be at 100% at the beginning of the transcode, so I guess the mencoder build is the culprit, unfortunately
shagrath
Project Lead

Postby DerRudi » Wed Jun 03, 2009 5:57 pm

Any ideas of what might be wrong with an Mencoder-build if something like this happens?
I seem to be having a similar problem, where my buffer seems to be emptying faster than it can be filled up.
However I'm running latest svn-mencoder, all 4 cores of my cpu (Amd.PhenomII 810) are being used, but none of them goes up to 100%, even at the start when just filling up the buffer.
DerRudi

Postby shagrath » Wed Jun 03, 2009 7:10 pm

yes, the default svn mencoder is NOT multicore, you need to get a part of the sources elsewhere to build a multicore capable binary... check the linux sub forum, I don't remember the post talking about this
shagrath
Project Lead

Postby DerRudi » Wed Jun 03, 2009 7:27 pm

Well that's the thing, I've recompiled using the ffmpeg-mt binaries, and it IS actually using all 4 cores, it's just only using them for like 50%-80%, it never goes up to 100%. While I would expect that while the buffer isn't full, all cores should be always fully at 100%, or am I wrong in that assumption?
DerRudi

Return to Linux/Unix Support