Can i stream from mac direct to PS3?

For help and support with issues specific to Mac OS X
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply.

Can i stream from mac direct to PS3?

Postby ujin » Fri May 29, 2009 11:13 am

Hey all,

Need some advice and assistance.

Using a macbook white with a belkin modem router.

I'm using these settings:
keyint=25:vqmax=5:vqmin=2
Max bandwidth: 0 which is unlimited
Using 802.11G router in same room(PS3 wireless detect signal strenght 100%)

When I stream through wireless, 720p works fine, but 1080p stutters.
1) Is something wrong as I've read some people have no problems streaming 1080p through wireless?

2) Is it possible to connect my macbook direct to the ps3 without going through the router? (If this works, I won't have to run long ethernet cable throughout my Living room)

Thanks in advance. Cheers.
ujin

Re: Can i stream from mac direct to PS3?

Postby meskibob » Fri May 29, 2009 12:55 pm

It's because you haven't specified a max bandwidth. Start with 15mbps and adjust from there.
I provide NO application support via PM or email, so please post your question to the forum per the Forum Rules.
meskibob

Postby ujin » Sat May 30, 2009 6:20 am

Thanks for the suggestion. Tried changing the bandwidth to 25 and still stuttering.

Anyways, yesterday, I plugged my mac directly to the ps3 with ethernet cable, without going thru the router. Redid the internet connection on my ps3 to wired, using all auto config for set-up.
At first it didnt detect the media server. As i was about to change it back, suddenly the media server showed up in the xmb, to my surprise.
However when i played 1080p file, it still stutters. So I thought maybe my connection set-up from ps3 was wrong. Started messing about reconfiguring the set-up manually from ps3 again, to no avail. So tried to reconfigure again with the auto set-up as the 1st attempt, but this time around it can't detect the ps3.
Not sure what i did right the first time!

Question is eventhough I managed to connect it directly the first time with ethernet cable, how come the 1080p still stutters?

Can somebody please help me how to play 1080p without stutter on wireless? What configuration you use, as I've tried everything and different settings.

Using a white macbook 2ghz core 2 duo!

Thanks!
ujin

1080p wireless or wired?

Postby ujin » Sat May 30, 2009 9:06 am

Hey All,

1st of thanks for this software!

Here's my setup:
Macbook white 2ghz core2duo
4gb ram
Belkin wireless modem/router

1) can I stream 1080p mkv files without stuttering through wireless? Has anyone succeeded doing this?
If yes, please share your settings on ps3ms.

2) Can i connect my mac directly to ps3 bypassing the router and still use ps3ms?

3) Through wired connection, i noticed some of my 1080p files(mkv 1080p, 7gb) plays smoothly while another movie(mkv 1080p, 14gb file) plays smoothly then start to stutter. Is it the size of the file that's causing the stutter? Why one file would play fine and the other one couldn't?

Thanks.
ujin

Postby meskibob » Sat May 30, 2009 12:52 pm

Looks like your 2ghz Core2 can't handle it. It may still be enough if you're able to setup a gigabit LAN, in which case PMS can save on CPU usage at the expense of network bandwidth, which doesn't matter for 1080P on a 1000-BaseT connection.

BTW, you already have this topic, no need to start a new one. As such, that new topic has been merged into this one.
I provide NO application support via PM or email, so please post your question to the forum per the Forum Rules.
meskibob

Postby ujin » Sat May 30, 2009 2:08 pm

meskibob wrote:Looks like your 2ghz Core2 can't handle it. It may still be enough if you're able to setup a gigabit LAN, in which case PMS can save on CPU usage at the expense of network bandwidth, which doesn't matter for 1080P on a 1000-BaseT connection.

BTW, you already have this topic, no need to start a new one. As such, that new topic has been merged into this one.

Thanks meskibob!

If you don't mind my asking, what is a gigabit LAN, is it like t1 internet land line? Sorry, noob here!

So you reckon it's my cpu that can't handle the bigger 1080p file?

How come it can handle the 7gb 1080p file(smaller size due to it being a 45 documentary) while it can't handle the 14gb size(bigger due to it's a 2 hr movie)?

Your input much appreciated! Thanks!
ujin

Postby meskibob » Sat May 30, 2009 3:33 pm

ujin wrote:If you don't mind my asking, what is a gigabit LAN, is it like t1 internet land line? Sorry, noob here!
It was nothing to do with the WAN bandwidth your ISP provides (T1 falls into that category). Setting up a gigabit LAN on your home network simply involves having network devices that support a 1000Base-T connection (PS3 does, your PC may just have a 100Base-T NIC) wired together (through a switch or router usually) with Cat5e or Cat6 ethernet cables.
ujin wrote:So you reckon it's my cpu that can't handle the bigger 1080p file?
How come it can handle the 7gb 1080p file(smaller size due to it being a 45 documentary) while it can't handle the 14gb size(bigger due to it's a 2 hr movie)?
The CPU comment is directed towards your trying to use a wireless connection. When you used the wired connection, PMS was able to reduce the CPU load by increasing the bandwidth required to stream the file after it was transcoded. The more bandwidth you make available (this is why I suggested gigabit), the less stress PMS has to put on the CPU.
Also, bitrates do vary between 1080P files, and I would assume a movie is more "intense", as far as amount of movement in a scene, than a documentary. It's not a direct result of the file size.
meskibob

Postby ujin » Sun May 31, 2009 6:20 am

Thanks meskibob!

That makes sense! Yesterday i tried connecting wired. The movie file that stuttered(even with the wired connection), i paused it and let the buffer filled to the max, then played the movie, it was fine then! Check the cpu load was around 70-80% on both cores. I could even select the 1st configuration for quality.

So I guess wired is the way to go.

Just another question, another 1080p file which is a .ts file, played fine but the buffer is always empty. Does that mean this particular file can be played natively without being transcoded by PSM?
ujin

Postby meskibob » Sun May 31, 2009 3:13 pm

To quote the PMS feature list:
Simple streaming of formats PS3 natively supports: MP3/JPG/PNG/GIF/TIFF, all kind of videos (AVI, MP4, TS, M2TS, MPEG)
meskibob

Return to Mac OS X Support