New website is live

Announcements about PS3 Media Server

New website is live

Postby SubJunk » Tue Apr 12, 2011 12:33 am

Welcome to our new website, which we hope is easier to use than the previous one.
You will see the forum is the same as before, just with a different header, and the FAQ is the same as Wikipedia. Hopefully these familiar interfaces will ease the transition.

The FAQ is relatively empty right now and we welcome contributions to help populate it. When it has more content we hope it will be easier than trawling through the forum for answers :)
SubJunk
 
Posts: 1210
Joined: Fri Mar 27, 2009 5:25 am

Re: New website is live

Postby taconaut » Tue Apr 12, 2011 7:17 am

Very nice! It looks nice and having a wiki will probably be really helpful for new users. Thanks :)
If you always wanted to have your most recent videos at the top of the folder in the ps3 or wished you could group all videos with the same genre in one folder, have a look at pms-mlx
taconaut
Project Member
 
Posts: 1070
Joined: Sat Apr 11, 2009 12:29 am
Location: Switzerland

Re: New website is live

Postby Uslackr » Fri Apr 15, 2011 3:00 am

It looks awesome. Good job!
Uslackr
 
Posts: 13
Joined: Sun Oct 03, 2010 3:38 am

Re: New website is live

Postby Gussi » Sun Apr 17, 2011 3:15 pm

Excellent! Been waiting for a wiki, searching the forum for a solution to some problems often yielded just search the forum answers, having a nicely organized wiki will hopefully solve that problem :D
User avatar
Gussi
 
Posts: 51
Joined: Tue Jan 20, 2009 7:45 am
Location: Reykjavik, Iceland

Re: New website is live

Postby otmanix » Tue May 03, 2011 11:11 pm

SubJunk wrote:Welcome to our new website, which we hope is easier to use than the previous one.
... and the FAQ is the same as Wikipedia. Hopefully these familiar interfaces will ease the transition.
The FAQ is relatively empty right now and we welcome contributions to help populate it. When it has more content we hope it will be easier than trawling through the forum for answers :)


Hmm, faq still looks like same old forum to me and not like a wiki (like mediawiki). Am I missing sth?
Kind regards, Otmanix
I provide NO application support via PM, so please post your question to the forum.
PS3 Media Server related articles on my blog: http://otmanix.de/?cat=11&lang=en
User avatar
otmanix
 
Posts: 528
Joined: Fri Jan 30, 2009 12:40 am
Location: Bavaria, Germany

Re: New website is live

Postby SubJunk » Tue May 03, 2011 11:18 pm

otmanix wrote:
SubJunk wrote:Welcome to our new website, which we hope is easier to use than the previous one.
... and the FAQ is the same as Wikipedia. Hopefully these familiar interfaces will ease the transition.
The FAQ is relatively empty right now and we welcome contributions to help populate it. When it has more content we hope it will be easier than trawling through the forum for answers :)


Hmm, faq still looks like same old forum to me and not like a wiki (like mediawiki). Am I missing sth?
Kind regards, Otmanix
We changed it because no one was contributing to the wiki :)
SubJunk
 
Posts: 1210
Joined: Fri Mar 27, 2009 5:25 am

Re: New website is live

Postby otmanix » Tue May 03, 2011 11:30 pm

My pc was down because of a crashed ssd. So I missed the last 3 weeks waiting for waranty return...
I started the faq in forum some time ago and I would contribute to a wiki. Is it possible to get it online again?
I provide NO application support via PM, so please post your question to the forum.
PS3 Media Server related articles on my blog: http://otmanix.de/?cat=11&lang=en
User avatar
otmanix
 
Posts: 528
Joined: Fri Jan 30, 2009 12:40 am
Location: Bavaria, Germany

Re: New website is live

Postby Raptor399 » Tue May 03, 2011 11:47 pm

Instead of maintaining FAQs in three different places (forum, wiki and documentation), why not focus the efforts on one spot?

Personally I would prefer the documentation because it will ship with every version of PMS, making the program self-documenting.

Ideally the forums would be used to sort out relevant information, while the documentation would be used to lock down sorted out information.
Adding a wiki would only add to the diffusion of information, which seems a bad idea.

Since the documentation is in HTML, it would be fairly easy to incorporate in any website.
Raptor399
Project Member
 
Posts: 1916
Joined: Thu Mar 10, 2011 12:06 am

Re: New website is live

Postby SubJunk » Tue May 03, 2011 11:57 pm

otmanix wrote:My pc was down because of a crashed ssd. So I missed the last 3 weeks waiting for waranty return...
I started the faq in forum some time ago and I would contribute to a wiki. Is it possible to get it online again?
We're just going to use the forum FAQ for now because I don't want the headache :)

Raptor399 wrote:Instead of maintaining FAQs in three different places (forum, wiki and documentation), why not focus the efforts on one spot?
The only FAQ is now the forum. In the upcoming version of PMS removes the FAQ that is packaged with PMS and instead links to the online one.
In the future the plan is to have all the documentation in one place online because then every user will always see the latest version instead of outdated ones inside the program.
SubJunk
 
Posts: 1210
Joined: Fri Mar 27, 2009 5:25 am

Re: New website is live

Postby otmanix » Wed May 04, 2011 12:37 am

SubJunk wrote:We're just going to use the forum FAQ for now because I don't want the headache :)


That's absolutely o.k. from your point of view. You don't have to support 2 platforms, wiki and forum. But believe me, if you want to write a documentation the limited features of this forum, e.g. layout and lack of using pictures/screenshots, drive you nuts. So don't wonder why only few people are contributing...
My opinion is that there should only be one place for docs and this should be a wiki. A forum is definitly not intended for being used as a place for docs, it may be used as a workaround. A wiki is designed for exactly doing that.

I believe that if someone (e.g. me) is starting to fill in content in a wiki others will follow. Because it's easy to modify existing articles, add some notes which mght be useful... and perhaps few will then start to write new articles. But this faq in forum will never be accepted by users. It's better than no docs at all, but in the end that shouldn't be the goal...
I provide NO application support via PM, so please post your question to the forum.
PS3 Media Server related articles on my blog: http://otmanix.de/?cat=11&lang=en
User avatar
otmanix
 
Posts: 528
Joined: Fri Jan 30, 2009 12:40 am
Location: Bavaria, Germany

Next

Return to Announcements

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 15 guests