PS3 Media Server 1.10.5

Announcements about PS3 Media Server

Re: PS3 Media Server 1.10.5

Postby shagrath » Sat Mar 21, 2009 5:45 pm

another user had noticed that as well, I cannot really answer why... maybe ps3 is downsampling streamed material to 48kHz (even if 96kHz is displayed)
shagrath
Project Lead

Postby ExSport » Sat Mar 21, 2009 6:37 pm

Maybe because that you have in settings on PS3 disabled support of 96kHz audio so PS3 force it to 48kHz only ;)
Check audio settings on PS3(for 2.0, 5.1 and 7.1 audio). If you say that your reciever doesn't support 96kHz 5.1 audio, then PS3 will downconvert it to be playable...
ExSport

Postby oldjoe » Tue Mar 24, 2009 4:33 pm

I discovered a small and perhaps more rare bug with MKV subtitles:

If the subtitle stream name contains spaces (example: "Norwegian Bokmaal"), PMS won't show the subtitle no matter what you put in the Subtitles language priority field.

I guess it would be an easy fix, but 95% of all the MKVs I have tried have a single-name stream.
oldjoe

Postby shagrath » Tue Mar 24, 2009 6:55 pm

oldjoe wrote:I discovered a small and perhaps more rare bug with MKV subtitles:

If the subtitle stream name contains spaces (example: "Norwegian Bokmaal"), PMS won't show the subtitle no matter what you put in the Subtitles language priority field.

I guess it would be an easy fix, but 95% of all the MKVs I have tried have a single-name stream.

are you sure this is caused by the space ? can you also try in another folder ? (drive root for example)
shagrath
Project Lead

Postby essential » Wed Mar 25, 2009 12:09 am

Just found out about this software and installed it.

It is amazing, simple as that.

I have three questions though:

1) When the Media Server is transcoding, is it doing all that on-the-fly, or is it placing files somewhere on my HD that I should be aware of? Since the program installed to my C:\ drive I assume any Temp files are going there, but if there are Temps I'd rather select the Temp location to my secondary HD if possible (if it's creating Temp files at all)?

2) When streaming, it is using the PS3's upscaling ability, or is the PS3 just a pass through pretty much?

3) Is there anyway to minimize the program to the System Tray? I'd like to leave it open all the time, but I prefer the things I leave open all the time stay in the System Tray and out of the way on the taskbar.

Thanks and great job!
essential

Postby ExSport » Wed Mar 25, 2009 12:48 am

essential wrote:I have three questions though:

1) When the Media Server is transcoding, is it doing all that on-the-fly, or is it placing files somewhere on my HD that I should be aware of? Since the program installed to my C:\ drive I assume any Temp files are going there, but if there are Temps I'd rather select the Temp location to my secondary HD if possible (if it's creating Temp files at all)?

Many times already answered :roll:
2) When streaming, it is using the PS3's upscaling ability, or is the PS3 just a pass through pretty much?

It is streamed as is(if you didn't forced upscaler in PMS manually). If video is same size as TV resolution and PS3 setting, video is played as is, when video is smaller, PS3 will upscale it automaticlally. If size is bigger then picture is downscaled by PS3 to fit the screen resolution/settings on PS3.
3) Is there anyway to minimize the program to the System Tray? I'd like to leave it open all the time, but I prefer the things I leave open all the time stay in the System Tray and out of the way on the taskbar.

Did you tried PMS already? ;) Close this window with "X" and not with red QUIT button...suppose that non Windows versions works same way...
AD 1) no temp files, all is done in memory only, on the fly...
ExSport

Postby essential » Wed Mar 25, 2009 2:08 am

Thank you, you answered all my questions. You are right, the red x does put it in the system tray, I should have tried that first.

Thanks, this software rocks!
essential

Postby lbravo » Wed Mar 25, 2009 6:23 am

hi i posted previously on the latest build for pms but no one has replied. i am currently using pms 1.10.51

my build is i7 920 with vista 64bit, 4gb ram, Motherboard is ex58 ud4p, nvidia 9800gtx+ and 500gb hdd

my first question is that randomly i get bsod when i watch normal avi's but i narrow it down to that i am using dc++, utorrent and pms all in the same time. There could be some bandwidth issues or something similar. it kinda fix the problem when i just use the pms ONLY. but after watching awhole lot of avi in a folder and i exit. the comp bsod and i think it says out of memory? has any1 have similar issues? i read somewhere that i need to increase the allotment of ram for java and this will fix it but i don't know how

second question is that while im streaming from the pc to ps3. i hear this high pitch noise coming from the comp. is this noise just the motherboard making a noise during streaming? is this even normal? but when i quit of pms... there's isn't this high pitch noise anymore

can someone please shed some light on this as i've been browsing through google and this forum for a week now to what could be the problem but to no avail.... i got nudda...
lbravo

Postby gastric » Wed Mar 25, 2009 8:48 pm

Troubleshooting is a process of elimination. You need to reduce one variable at a time to determine what is causing your BSOD. App interoperability. Bad RAM/CPU setup/timings. Process of elimination.

Same with the "noise". It's likely your hard drive spinning, maybe your CPU fan if you're transcoding and the CPU ramps up and needs more cooling, or maybe poorly shielded audio (haven't heard that type of bleed since the 90's though). Again, process of elimination.
gastric

Postby lbravo » Thu Mar 26, 2009 6:10 am

thanks for the reply
regarding the noise. i opened up the computer and found out that the high pitch noise was coming from the ethernet box. it also changes tone with the orange flashing when it is streaming from pc to ps3. also found out that when i turn i stop the streaming... the sound stops. i found something in google that it may be something got to do with the speedstep being enabled or disabled. (http://forums.anandtech.com/messageview ... id=2258932) so im going to try this out when i get home

with the bsod... i don't think it is the cpu coz the only time it ever bsod on me was when i'm streaming (transcoding) to the ps3. i got a feeling it may be the ram and when i read through the MB manual. found out that the friend who help built it for me put the ram in the wrong slot. i have put it back in the right spot but i haven't thoroughly tested it out if this is the problem. gf has watched a couple of episodes and she hasn't complained yet *cross fingers*

let u know how it goes just in case another person has the same problem. any additional suggestions will be great
lbravo

PreviousNext

Return to Announcements