Any MacPro users her with PMS?

For help and support with issues specific to Mac OS X
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply.

Any MacPro users her with PMS?

Postby j2048b » Sun Mar 08, 2009 10:04 am

I am about to purchase an older mac pro quad core 2.66 with about 6-8 gigs of memory and

was wondering if anyone could tell me how it would run with pms?

i think it will be fast and smooth, but i know it also depends on my networ connection.

anyone have any info on where to buy homeplugs as well? looking to get a few 200mbs plugs if i can but do they work that well compared to say getting the new apple extreme n gigabit router?

thanks
j2048b

Re: Any MacPro users her with PMS?

Postby liddokun » Sun Mar 08, 2009 3:31 pm

I have just a Macbook, but i'm prepared on the matter of homeplugs as i have been using those for a while. Let me tell you that if there is no way to use a cable, this is the only worthy solution. However.... all the ones i've ever seen can transmit up to 200mbps on the powerline, but they have a dumb 10/100mbps connector. Seriously, was a gigabit one too much for them? Anyway the results are really good, giving you a "less or more" 100mbps ethernet.

Keeping in mind what you want to do (streaming to the PS3) you have pretty much that choice or wiring stuff, as the PS3 only has a 54mbps type G wireless adapter (same goes for the Wii and for the external Xbox 360 one) so you could get a N type router and use it as a G one.... kinda pointless. On the bright side, were you to go for the cable solution all Intel Macs have a gigabit ethernet, and so does the PS3.
liddokun

Re: Any MacPro users her with PMS?

Postby j2048b » Sun Mar 08, 2009 6:13 pm

liddokun wrote:I have just a Macbook, but i'm prepared on the matter of homeplugs as i have been using those for a while. Let me tell you that if there is no way to use a cable, this is the only worthy solution. However.... all the ones i've ever seen can transmit up to 200mbps on the powerline, but they have a dumb 10/100mbps connector. Seriously, was a gigabit one too much for them? Anyway the results are really good, giving you a "less or more" 100mbps ethernet.

Keeping in mind what you want to do (streaming to the PS3) you have pretty much that choice or wiring stuff, as the PS3 only has a 54mbps type G wireless adapter (same goes for the Wii and for the external Xbox 360 one) so you could get a N type router and use it as a G one.... kinda pointless. On the bright side, were you to go for the cable solution all Intel Macs have a gigabit ethernet, and so does the PS3.

thanks i appreciate the input,
i cannot do anything wired due to everything being dowstairs from my upstairs router/modem
so hopefully i can get my mac pro desktop here soon.

thanks
j2048b

Return to Mac OS X Support