A few issues with my PS3 Media Server.

For help and support with issues specific to Mac OS X
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply.

A few issues with my PS3 Media Server.

Postby Led_Zep » Wed Mar 04, 2009 7:34 pm

Hey guys, love the app. I used it in Windows Vista for a while without issue. OSX, however, hasn't been so nice to me.

#1 - My mouse stutters / slows down while a video is wirelessly transcoding. My CPU usage is @ 90 %...so it's possible that my computer is simply "overworking", but I didn't experience this at all in Windows. After the video buffers, the problem is less severe, but still exists. Anyone else experiencing this bug or is there a way to correct this?

#2 - Whenever I try to wirelessly stream DVD ISO files, my video stutters. My audio doesn't skip, however. Again, is this a known issue? Can I edit settings to fix this? All of my .mkv files play without issue.

Settings I altered:
Enhanced Multicore Support Support
"Good" HD WiFi transcoding" = 25/5/2
Max Bandwidth = 15mbit
Def Disable Subtitles Checked
(I tried unchecking A/V sync alternate method, but that didn't work)

Any suggestions are appreciated. Thanks.
Led_Zep

Re: A few issues with my PS3 Media Server.

Postby meskibob » Wed Mar 04, 2009 7:49 pm

1) I usually get the mouse locking up not from CPU but from lack RAM. And this make sense in your case since after a bit (while the video is still buffering and CPU usage is essentially constant) other processes are paged out to the harddisk to free up more mem for PMS. Try reducing the size of the buffer in the PMS setttings and/or running fewer other processes with it.

2) The .mkv's are probably just being remuxed with TSmuxer, which is much less resource intensive than a full MEncoder transcode required for the .iso's. Try reducing the quality profile (the "Good HD WiFi Transcoding") and lowering the maxbandwidth even further.
I provide NO application support via PM or email, so please post your question to the forum per the Forum Rules.
meskibob

Postby Led_Zep » Fri Mar 06, 2009 7:17 am

It's still happening with those altered settings. I lowered my bandwidth to 10 and quality to "medium". I do notice my page outs go slowly up. My memory shows 400 page outs right now and it keeps rising.
Free RAM is @ 9MB.
Innactive RAM is @ 1GB.
Used RAM is @ 2GB
Mencoder is @ 178 usage (is that even possible?).

Specs = EFiX Mac (not a hackintosh)
E7200 @ 3.0 ghz / 2GB DDR2 800 / SATA2 HDD / 9800 GT
Led_Zep

Postby meskibob » Fri Mar 06, 2009 2:09 pm

Led_Zep wrote:Specs = EFiX Mac (not a hackintosh)
It just may be too much for the USB dongle to handle, although a confirmation from the Devs is needed since I have no clue about the actual specifics of why it might be too much. Do you still have access to your Vista install?
I provide NO application support via PM or email, so please post your question to the forum per the Forum Rules.
meskibob

Postby Led_Zep » Fri Mar 06, 2009 5:50 pm

meskibob wrote:
Led_Zep wrote:Specs = EFiX Mac (not a hackintosh)
It just may be too much for the USB dongle to handle, although a confirmation from the Devs is needed since I have no clue about the actual specifics of why it might be too much. Do you still have access to your Vista install?

USB Dongle is not the cause. My system out performs many other Mac Pros and certainly outperforms my iMac in the other room. At this time, I do not have Vista installed and unfortunately am unable to reinstall until I get another HDD. Looking past Vista, does anyone have any suggestions based on my info provided in my previous post?
Led_Zep

Return to Mac OS X Support