1080p mkv stutter from MacBook Pro

For help and support with issues specific to Mac OS X
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply.

1080p mkv stutter from MacBook Pro

Postby portishead » Wed Mar 04, 2009 3:50 am

I am trying to play some .mkv's from my MacBook Pro to the PS3. My network is all gigabit. I can pretty much play any 720P that I've tried. It seems 1080p will play for a few seconds, then stutter, then stop.

I have buffer set to 600, 5.1 Audio, 640 bitrate, & "Lossless quality/crazy bitrate". WIth these settings, am I losing any quality? Or does it transcode without any quality loss. How would the quality differ if I were to compare the actual file to the transcode?

I have a Popcorn hour that is awesome, but I've always wanted to utilize the PS3 to play mkv files.

I am also looking at the Activity Monitor program, and it seems there is still some CPU room, so I'm not sure why the 1080p files will not play.

Thanks for the software, I am loving it so far, and have shown it to several people. I hope to eventually get 1080p files to work so I can ditch the Popcorn hour.

Late 2008 Macbook Pro 2.4, 4GB RAM.
portishead

Re: 1080p mkv stutter from MacBook Pro

Postby shagrath » Wed Mar 04, 2009 9:23 am

did you try the enhanced multicore support ? (mencoder config panel)
you can also decrease to "best quality", don't think there's much of a difference
about the quality, well you will obviously lose something in the process, but it's minimized
shagrath
Project Lead

Postby portishead » Wed Mar 04, 2009 8:55 pm

shagrath wrote:did you try the enhanced multicore support ? (mencoder config panel)
you can also decrease to "best quality", don't think there's much of a difference
about the quality, well you will obviously lose something in the process, but it's minimized

Enhanced multicore support doesn't work, it just crashes. I will try decreasing quality, but don't the processors have to do more work to transcode & compress?
portishead

Postby meskibob » Wed Mar 04, 2009 9:02 pm

portishead wrote:...but don't the processors have to do more work to transcode & compress?
They're transcoding to the lesser quality, not fully transcoding and then compressing. Result is less of the original data is transcoded, so fewer resources are required.
I provide NO application support via PM or email, so please post your question to the forum per the Forum Rules.
meskibob

Postby Peter.Simpson909 » Sat Mar 14, 2009 2:13 am

I experience the same thing on my macbookpro. These are my specs:

Model Name: MacBook Pro
Model Identifier: MacBookPro3,1
Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo
Processor Speed: 2.2 GHz
Number Of Processors: 1
Total Number Of Cores: 2
L2 Cache: 4 MB
Memory: 4 GB
Bus Speed: 800 MHz

I will try altering the settings--just thought I'd tell you you're not alone. This is on a gigabit network that pushes up to 30MB/s.
Peter.Simpson909

Return to Mac OS X Support