"PS3 has not been found"

For help and support with issues specific to Mac OS X
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply.

Re: "PS3 has not been found"

Postby schnerrding » Thu Jan 22, 2009 9:37 am

joewmorrissey wrote:you have to setup the external harddrives... meaning you have to add them... they are under volumes once you click the add button

thanks, jm!

I could have looked for another hundred years and never thought about this...

Looks like I'm all set now. What dazzles me a bit is the cpu power required for the mencoder engine. I own a 2,16 Core Duo imac, and if I transcode 1080p without size limits, this transcoding buffer is just melting away! If I set the limit to 17 mbps, I am alright.

Another question though (maybe not the right thread, but I'll give it a shot):

I read that DTS audio is transcoded to 5.1 lpm on the fly, so far so good (will test this later on). Anyway, if you have a VC-1 video codec in an m2ts file, it looks right now as this is a no go for streaming to ps3. Furthermore, I know that a lot of people reencode to h264, which requires top of the line computers and still very much time.

Is this the end of the psm road for VC-1 codecs? Or will the ps3 have to learn to read VC-1 streams via a Sony update? Or is there another elegant way around this problem?

I like to have your thoughts on this.
schnerrding

Postby 328iGuy » Sun Feb 08, 2009 8:10 pm

I had the same errors.

The issue for me is that the PS3 Media Server was trying to bind to the wrong network interface, once I changed that in the dropdown it picked it up immediately.

Just do the following

Open PS3 Media Server > General Configuration > "Force Networking on Interface" > select the dropdown for "en1"

That should fix your issues!
328iGuy

Postby markob » Mon Feb 09, 2009 1:26 am

328iGuy wrote:I had the same errors.

The issue for me is that the PS3 Media Server was trying to bind to the wrong network interface, once I changed that in the dropdown it picked it up immediately.

Just do the following

Open PS3 Media Server > General Configuration > "Force Networking on Interface" > select the dropdown for "en1"

That should fix your issues!

Same case was on my Mac until I channged this.. this should be easy to fix.
markob

Postby chinacow » Mon Feb 09, 2009 3:43 am

i had this issue in the beginning.

first of all, my mac is connected via wired connection to my router and my ps3 is connected wirelessly to the whole network.

first thing i did was make a static ip address for my ps3 and port forwarded it through my router to my mac.

then i forced the network interface of my mac to the one actually connected to my router, which fixed one problem.

then i started getting issues with my mac and ps3 sending 'discover messages' to each other but the ps3 not being 'seen' by the media server.

forcing the ip address and port didn't do anything.

then i realized that you need to give the above port access through your os x firewall. i completely overlooked that one simple thing.

now everything works like a charm (more or less...i have to wire my connection to my ps3 to get stutterless streaming)
chinacow

Postby hardvibes » Wed Mar 04, 2009 8:23 pm

chinacow wrote:first thing i did was make a static ip address for my ps3 and port forwarded it through my router to my mac.
please explain. How do you make a static ip address? What should it be like? I dont understand when you say you "port forwarded the static ip address"
chinacow wrote:then i realized that you need to give the above port access through your os x firewall.
how? I forwared the 5001 port on my router settings and it says it's open
but still doesnt work, I mean the ps3 cant be found even if in the trace tab it says nothing is wrong with the port
hardvibes

Postby chinacow » Wed Mar 04, 2009 8:47 pm

in terms of making a static IP address, that was when i was using my d-link router. i just wanted to avoid the potential problem of my router assigning a different IP address to my PS3 every time it reconnected to my router. in order to do that, you have to go into your router settings via your web browser and set it so that your PS3 will be assigned the same IP address whenever it connects to your router. specifics are hard to give unless you have my d-link router.

however, i just bought an airport express and the issue of having a static IP address for your PS3 isn't an issue; meaning my PS3 has the same IP address all the time. to confirm that, just check what your PS3's IP address is, turn it off then on again, and recheck to make sure the IP address remains the same (you do this using the network settings of the PS3 itself, not the media server program).

as for the other issue about the port, what i meant is that you need to allow the port that you're using for streaming (ie 5001) access to your mac. it has nothing to do with your router at this point (though you still should port forward it through your router, which it sounds like you did.)

more specifically, open 'system preferences'.
then open 'sharing'.
select the 'firewall' tab.
select 'new'.
then for 'port name' select 'other'.
for the 'tcp' and 'udp' ports enter '5001'.
and for 'description' enter 'PS3' or whatever you want.

as a side note, if you're going to 'force the ip of the server' under the PS3 media server 'general configuration' settings, make sure you enter the ip address of you mac not the ps3.

hope that helps.
chinacow

Postby hardvibes » Wed Mar 04, 2009 9:28 pm

the problem is there is not a firewal tab in "sharing". Are you using mac os x 10.5.6 ?
In the latest os x version the firewall tab is in "security" and the menu is completely different: the firewall options are in the third tab, if I click "+" all I can do is add applications. I tried to add the java ps3 media server app

but it's always the same story
Last edited by hardvibes on Sat Mar 07, 2009 10:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
hardvibes

Postby hardvibes » Thu Mar 05, 2009 6:34 pm

how can I verify if the port is open on my macbook?
hardvibes

Postby hardvibes » Sat Mar 07, 2009 10:42 pm

chinacow wrote:as for the other issue about the port, what i meant is that you need to allow the port that you're using for streaming (ie 5001) access to your mac. it has nothing to do with your router at this point (though you still should port forward it through your router, which it sounds like you did.)

I dont get it, I opened the 5001 port on my router for the macbook ip

you mean it's not open? o_0
hardvibes

Postby chinacow » Sun Mar 08, 2009 12:20 am

everything i was talking about before was in regards to tiger.

so there's two issues regarding port 5001. you have to forward it through your router. and you have to allow it access through your firewall. it seems like you took care of the router part, so now you have to fix the firewall issue.

i installed the media server on my laptop which has leopard on it and set it up.

so the router half of this setup is already done because i did it before for my other computer.

as for setting up my firewall on my laptop with leopard on it, it's actually a bit easier.

just go to 'security' and from there the 'firewall' tab. make sure 'allow all incoming connections' is selected and your ps3 media server should find your ps3 just fine (it worked for me without any additional tinkering). if you want to be more safe and not allow all incoming connections, just select 'set access for specific services and applications', the + button should be active then, click it, and add the media server app by finding it and double clicking it.

btw, what kind of router are you using? also, how familiar are you with your mac? did you add the media server to your applications folder?
Last edited by chinacow on Sun Mar 08, 2009 12:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
chinacow

PreviousNext

Return to Mac OS X Support