PS3/MP4 Issue

For help and support with issues specific to Mac OS X
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply.

Re: PS3/MP4 Issue

Postby cheule » Tue Apr 27, 2010 12:52 am

Transcoding is the preferred way to stream media because PMS converts the mp4 file to an mpeg2 stream that the PS3 likes. Mp4 can vary in encoding, most of which won't play on the PS3.
cheule

Re: PS3/MP4/m4v Issue

Postby daddysensei » Tue Jul 24, 2012 5:36 am

I have had a similar problem with m4v files, which are actually mpeg-4 type files. All my m4v files would begin to play, sound would come through just fine, but the image would just freeze. So . . . this is what I did.

Under the Common transcode settings, near the bottom of this page, in the Force Transcode for the following extensions dialog box, I typed in mp4,m4v with no space after the comma.

Now on the PS3, each movie file has a folder, in each movie folder there is the "movie.m4v" and a "#--TRANSCODE--#" folder. Inside the #--TRANSCODE--#, there is a folder that contains several files, one of them named "FFmpeg*" <----This file plays perfectly!

The sound comes through in full 5.1, and the playback is seamless. However, also in the Common transcode settings, also near the bottom, but above the force transcode dialog box, in the video quality settings, I used only "good quality" because I am on a wireless router. However, by simply clicking the dialog box you can select better playback settings, which I would recommend if you are using ethernet cable directly to your router and ps3. A little experimentation may be necessary to determine what plays best in your set up.

Bottom line, on the PS3, each movie file has a folder, in each movie folder there is the "movie.m4v" and a "#--TRANSCODE--#" folder. Inside the #--TRANSCODE--#, there is a folder that contains several files, one of them named "FFmpeg*" <----This file plays perfectly!

I hope this helps out those of you with loads of Handbrake files that were optimized with m4v or MP4 file types . . . which are also used for iTune movie formatting!
daddysensei

Re: PS3/MP4 Issue

Postby oursvache » Sun Dec 09, 2012 10:15 pm

I had the same issue but my computer is old an I do not have the specs for live TRANSCODE. When I do so, it lags and it is not usable.

A lot of the mp4 we get on the web are products of Handbrake. There is a bug with it

"After encoding a DVD video to MP4 using Handbrake 0.9.4(2009112300) using the High Profile preset, my video will not open in QuickTime. The video itself does not appear to be corrupt, I can play it from end to end in Windows Media Player, and it looks and sounds fine."

"The solution is to change the extension from mp4 to m4v. Quicktime does not think that aac+ac3 is a valid audio format for mp4, but it thinks it is fine for m4v. "

easy solution rename the file to m4v. It worked for me.
cheers lads
oursvache

Previous

Return to Mac OS X Support