Streaming FTP sources

For help and support with issues specific to Mac OS X
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply.

Streaming FTP sources

Postby sam1am » Fri Jan 22, 2010 8:04 am

I have a remote source that I can access via FTP or SFTP where I keep most of my media. I'd love to be able to stream from that source.

My first attempt was to use Macfuse to mount the FTP server as a drive on my computer. I am able to navigate to the folder on my ps3 through ps3 media server, but it gets all buggy and won't stream anything. I'm not sure if this is something that could be fixed or changed with PS3 media server or if it's a problem with Macfuse.

I also tried mounting the ftp server through Finder (Go >> connect to server...) but I run into the same issues. It becomes very slow to list directory content where files are present and playback is very slow/buggy. I get DLNA errors and/or corrupted data errors when I try to playback a file. Trying to do so will usually also cause the connection on my computer to crash.

Note that I can stream from my ftp server to my computer just fine and my connection is plenty fast to support standard definition files or mp3s.

So I'm looking for a solution. Adding an FTP source directly in PS3 Media Server would be awesome, but it doesn't appear I can do that.

Can anyone else come up with a creative way to access the ftp content on my ps3? There must be a way...
sam1am

Re: Streaming FTP sources

Postby meskibob » Fri Jan 22, 2010 3:21 pm

I provide NO application support via PM or email, so please post your question to the forum per the Forum Rules.
meskibob

Return to Mac OS X Support