No more streaming since build 367 - still no worky in 369

For help and support with issues specific to Mac OS X
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply.

No more streaming since build 367 - still no worky in 369

Postby gomeztogo » Sat Dec 05, 2009 7:11 am

Hello,

I hate the first post being a tech support question, but I've been trying to kick start this thing for awhile and no luck.

Affected Builds: 367 and 369
PS3: FW 3.10
Machine: Mac Mini, 1.66 Intel Core Duo, 1 GB RAM
Network: wired 100 mbps through linksys router

Symptoms:
* Video Playback takes ~2-3 minutes to start
** When playback does begin it stops after only about 2 seconds and will not restart
*** At this point the mini will say that TSMuxer has crashed
**** Note that the TSMuxer crash has disapeared in build 369, but video playback is still broken
** It doesn't matter if it is native or transcoded playback, both fail the same way
* Selecting a video on the PS3, clicking TRIANGLE, and copy fails as well
** In this scenario the PS3 hangs with the "copying" dialog for about 1 minute, then shows the progress bar but the video will never start to download

Other system facts:
* This did not start happening until I updated to build 367
* I have restarted all compononents in the device chain - PS3, Mac and router
* Recognition of PS3 Media Server from the XMB is almost instantaneous
** Browsing folder contents takes less than 10 seconds to produce folder contents on the XMB

Things left to try:
* Reverting to a pre-367 build
* Updating Java
* Trying over wireless instead of wired

Does anyone have any advice on this issue? What am I missing here?

Thanks in advance!
gomeztogo

Re: No more streaming since build 367 - still no worky in 369

Postby gomeztogo » Sun Dec 06, 2009 1:55 am

Update:

As an experiment I started a copy of a 700 mb divx encoded avi at 1000 and went out for a bit. When I got back home at 1430 the copy was at 87% complete.

So it is *working* I suppose, just remarkably slow.

I do not believe this to be an issue with my network as all my other devices on the network operate just fine. The PS3 itself is fast when downloading from the PS store, online gaming etc.
gomeztogo

Update II:

Postby gomeztogo » Fri Dec 11, 2009 8:17 pm

I rebuilt my media server from scratch using Snow Leopard. Browsing the media library from the PS3 is even faster now, however streaming is still broken.

I am at a total loss here. The only thing I can think of is a PS3 firmware update is to blame. If there were a configuration problem, rebuilding the machine would have fixed it. If it were a network problem my other normal network operations would be failing as well. If it were a PS3MS problem these boards would be aflame.

Any ideas? Anyone? Bueller?
gomeztogo

Postby shagrath » Fri Dec 11, 2009 10:31 pm

have you tried a pre-366 build ? Almost nothing on the network side has changed in the code since some revisions now
shagrath
Project Lead

Postby gomeztogo » Sat Dec 12, 2009 5:05 am

The problem is network based. But I think network based purely from the PS3.

I switched back to the last released "stable" build and had the same issues.

I then re-configured my PS3 to use my wireless instead of wired connection and the problem was solved. On wireless I can now stream again, although it gets choppy during high motion scenes.

Is there anything I need to do differently if I am wired vs wireless? I've seen some forum posts about it, but no definite answers.

Is there any other info I can provide to shagrath or redlum to help debug, or is this a corner case?
gomeztogo

Return to Mac OS X Support