What are the recommended settings??

For help and support with issues specific to Mac OS X
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply.

What are the recommended settings??

Postby williampower » Fri Dec 04, 2009 1:07 pm

Dear all,

First of all, i'am using the last beta build version for the mac. If it solves my problems i'll switch to Windows if i have to.

Problem:

In general i use reasonable defaul settings to let the PMS operate. I ony stream 1080p movies in MKV and the most of them are equipped with DTS.
I find it very strange that movies approx 13GB are running perfect en no glitch at all, and sometimes even 8GB movie is stuttering????? :x

I also read someting about manually edit the codec settings in the advance tab of the MenCoder?? Transcoding shouldn't be even necceserry because by default the PS3 knows MKV.

Now i'am watch Night in the Museum 2. It runs fine but after 10 minutes , !!! Stuttering!! :(

Running on Imac 4GB Duo Core 2,66 Ghz all wired and 1gbps network. I tested my movies from network shares, usb harddrives, but overall, some of the mkv's are still stuttering. Are there any settings that i possibly forgot or do i have to make certain settings.

Excuse me for the english.

Regards,

William :D
williampower

Re: What are the recommended settings??

Postby meskibob » Fri Dec 04, 2009 2:26 pm

williampower wrote:Transcoding shouldn't be even necceserry because by default the PS3 knows MKV.
Wrong! http://manuals.playstation.net/document ... types.html

The most-likely reason is that a few of your MKVs are VC-1 video, which doesn't have multicore transcoding support, while the rest of your MKVs can either be just remuxed or atleast transcoded over multiple cores. Essentially your CPU isn't powerful enough.
See the following thread for more general infos: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=3507
I provide NO application support via PM or email, so please post your question to the forum per the Forum Rules.
meskibob

Postby williampower » Fri Dec 04, 2009 2:47 pm

thx for the quick reply.

Does that means that my Dual CPU is'nt strong enough en should i go to Quad Core?

Second: With Muxer Encoding these movies ( ALL MY MOVIES !! ) are running super!!! Full 1080 and DTS!!

But i choose for Mencoder because of the subtitles feature. With Muxer i don't have the subtitles in our language.

So why Muxer is so quick than instead of mencoder?

And, is there a way to get subs in movies with muxer?

Thx
williampower

Postby meskibob » Fri Dec 04, 2009 3:07 pm

williampower wrote:thx for the quick reply.

Does that means that my Dual CPU is'nt strong enough en should i go to Quad Core?
Not necessarily, as VC-1 is more dependent on the individual clock speed of a single core rather than the total processing power over the multiple cores
williampower wrote:Second: With Muxer Encoding these movies ( ALL MY MOVIES !! ) are running super!!! Full 1080 and DTS!!

But i choose for Mencoder because of the subtitles feature. With Muxer i don't have the subtitles in our language.

So why Muxer is so quick than instead of mencoder?

And, is there a way to get subs in movies with muxer?

Thx
All of these are explained in the tutorial thread I linked (short answers: TSmuxer is remuxing, so video stays intact; TSmuxer can't generate subtitles the ps3 supports)
I provide NO application support via PM or email, so please post your question to the forum per the Forum Rules.
meskibob

Postby williampower » Fri Dec 04, 2009 3:27 pm

Ok, so i need to Mencoding. Thats clear. Thxs Meskibob!! :D

Last question than. I read the tut, but what i need the most now is advice:

What settings do you advice than Meskibob? Do you think i go back to WIndows and have more succes with extra codecs etc en maybe no more stuttering under WIndows? I read that in WIndows there is a extra feature en codec options instead under MACOS X ?

Windows 7 ( Media Player ) better than PMS ?

I just need to see the movies with subs and 1080 + DTS. Everything here is ok. Gbit LAN, 4GB Memory Dual CPU???!!!! :D

Regards,

William
williampower

Return to Mac OS X Support