I JUST WANT TO HARDWIRE PS3 TO MAC!!!!

For help and support with issues specific to Mac OS X
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply.

I JUST WANT TO HARDWIRE PS3 TO MAC!!!!

Postby melian69 » Fri Nov 27, 2009 9:56 am

Hellooooo can anyone help?

I have mac connected to internet via a wireless router and my PS3 can connect through this aswell, my PS3 also detects and streams the media server wirelessly no problems but as I want to stream HD the quality is choppy to say the least.

To get rid of the choppyness I just want to plug the PS3 into the rear of the mac using ethernet cable, now when I do this I can't get it to work.
Does the PS3 NEED an internet connection to connect to the mac or can I just hook it up with a cable to just do the file sharing?

Can somebody please just give me a step by step guide on this?

Thanks in advance.
melian69

Re: I JUST WANT TO HARDWIRE PS3 TO MAC!!!!

Postby bortek » Thu Dec 03, 2009 1:16 pm

It is not possible
bortek

Postby PS-THREE » Thu Dec 03, 2009 2:02 pm

Connect ethernet cable

Set up some random IP (Mac OS) to enable your TCP-IP Ethernet interface (or sharing will fail), drop the firewall or set it up correctly for DHCP etc.

Preferences -> Sharing -> Internet Sharing -> Start

Have your PS3 to do DHCP over Ethernet
PS-THREE

Postby cheule » Sat Dec 05, 2009 11:06 pm

Just to reiterate, what bortek said about "it's not possible" is incorrect. What PS-THREE said was correct. You can also set up manual IP addresses on both the Mac and the PS3, as long as they are in the same subnet.
cheule

Postby SteveW928 » Sun Dec 06, 2009 4:53 am

A couple of additional comments...

1) If you're not using some kind of network hub (ie: just putting an ethernet cable directly between the PS3 and Mac), I'm not sure if either the PS3 or Mac will do the required 'cross-over' of the transmit and receive pairs of wires. Most old network techs like me used to carry around what was called a cross-over ethernet cable for just such an occasion (usually for testing in our case). But, I'd suggest just using an ethernet hub and 2 normal ethernet cables. Maybe someone here knows if you need just a normal cable could be used (and either the PS3 or Mac does this automatic cross-over... I've not tried it).

2) As other's mentioned, you'll have to get them both on the same subnet. In other words... 192.168.1.x, or 10.10.10.x where both your Mac and PS3 have a unique number for x, but the other numbers are the same.

The easiest way to do this would be to use an actual router, such as a Linksys that people would use for an Internet router. It wouldn't have to be connected to the Internet necessarily (but could be), but it will take care of assigning DHCP addresses and creating this local 'home' network. But, you should be able to do it with your single cable if that is really what you are determined to do.
SteveW928

Postby PS-THREE » Sun Dec 06, 2009 5:31 am

Most Intel Macs will autoconfigure an ethernet crossover over just a regular cable (without a hub, switch or crossover cable).... As someone else mentioned, older Macs probably won't "auto crossover", meaning you'll need to use that hub or crossover cable.

Using Internet sharing is pretty convenient - there are no IP settings to enter or remember, and it disables sleep on your Mac as long as it's active.

I'm getting gigabit performance over an ethernet cable with these settings right now.
PS-THREE

Postby cheule » Sun Dec 06, 2009 8:58 am

Turns out that any Mac with gigabit ethernet will auto configure it's port for normal or crossover cables. You can use either and it will automagically figure it out. And also interestingly, that means all Intel Macs, G5s and even a fair bit of the G4 line. Macs have been able to use standard cables from Mac to Mac for years.
cheule

Postby mcjerjer » Wed Dec 09, 2009 8:17 am

can someone explain how to configure my mac and ps3 to do this in greater detail?

I don't understand what to do. I want to connect my mac to my Ps3 using a regular ethernet cable and stream away.

thanks
mcjerjer

Postby jmekelb » Wed Dec 09, 2009 8:13 pm

I'm going to try this tonight (as my router is about 100 ft from both my Mac and my PS3). I will respond later with my success (or more likely, monumental failure) story.
jmekelb

Postby jmekelb » Sat Dec 12, 2009 4:12 pm

Just got this working this morning. Ran a cat6 cable from my PS3 to the back of my iMac and then did this:

http://www.macosxhints.com/article.php?story=20071223001432304

At that point, I ran the auto the set up on the PS3 for a wired connection and it assigned an IP and could log into the PSNetwork using the shared internet from my Mac.

The last step was to force the IP of the server within PMS to match the IP address from my Mac.

Now I'm streaming 1080p movies without a hitch and without having to run 100 ft cables to and from my router.
jmekelb

Next

Return to Mac OS X Support