Xbox 360 not getting detected?

For help and support with issues specific to Mac OS X
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply.

Xbox 360 not getting detected?

Postby manu08 » Mon Nov 16, 2009 8:25 am

I'm new to this so please forgive me if I come off as being a fool in terms of configuring the options to get the Xbox 360 to be visible to PS3 Media Server. I have a 13" MBP, with OSX 10.6.2 installed [very recently upgraded from Leopard]. My laptop appears to be up-to-date according to the Apple Software Update. The 360 is not modified & has the latest firmware update installed on it. I have Java SE 6 installed on my notebook as well. I've also installed PS3 Media Server 1.10.5.

I have a 2Wire 2701HG-G router with a built in DSL-modem provided by my ISP; Bell Canada. My Xbox 360 is connected to the router via the ethernet cable & my notebook connects through Wi-Fi. On the router, I have opened up TCP & UDP port 5001 for my notebook.

When I run the PS3 Media Server I get "PS3 has not been found. Is it on? You can also check...." with a large red color X in the middle of the window. I have attached a png of a screenshot of what the "traces" section shows me on the PS3 Media Server software. My 360 does not pick up anything related to the PS3 Media Server.

What am I doing wrong? How can I resolve this so I can watch mkv files with on-the-fly transcoding on my Xbox 360? Generally my firewall is enabled but I've disabled it & tried as well with no luck. Even connecting the 360 directly via the ethernet cable to my notebook didn't work. :?

Appreciate all the help.
Attachments
screen-capture.png
traces
screen-capture.png (164.53 KiB) Viewed 6123 times
manu08

Re: Xbox 360 not getting detected?

Postby KrazyCowboys » Wed Nov 18, 2009 8:16 pm

bump.

Same problem. I am using an iMac and cannot detect my XBOX. I was previously using connect 360 and it detected my XBOX360 seamlessly. I am trying to use PS3 media center for the MKV capabilities.
KrazyCowboys

Postby KrazyCowboys » Wed Nov 18, 2009 8:20 pm

manu08...how did you open up TCP & UDP port 5001? i am not very tech savy (especially on my mac) and think port 5001 may already be in use from connect 360.
KrazyCowboys

Postby manu08 » Thu Nov 19, 2009 9:22 am

To be honest I'm fairly new to my Mac as well, picked it up in August so I haven't really learned as much as I'd like to know but I'm getting there slowly.

There is no way to open the ports in the OSX firewall [for Snow Leopard] so I opened up the ports in my router's firewall & allowed PS3 MS in the Snow Leopard firewall. I believe the method to do so varies from router to router so google might be off better help than me but I can try helping you if you give me more details about your router.

I tried changing the port to 7001 to see if it would work but that did not help either. Besides, regardless of the port...

1. I read in the forums that the Snow Leopard firewall conflicts with PS3 MS so the firewall should be disabled.
2. If I'm connecting the Xbox 360 directly to the Macbook with the firewall disabled I don't see how the port number would make any difference.
3. Disable Connect360 if your trying to use PS3 MS, I would go as far as uninstalling Connect360 & then rebooting the computer before attempting to connect with PS3 MS again.
manu08

Postby tuxarkhitekton » Sat Nov 28, 2009 2:40 am

manu08,

One thing I've noticed in your trace listing is that your PS3MS is scanning a VMware network interface, VMNET8. You need to force PS3MS to scan the physical network interface on your Mac. That will be en0 or en1...

arkhitekton
tuxarkhitekton

Return to Mac OS X Support