Try out the enhanced multicore support in 1.04!

For help and support with issues specific to Mac OS X
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply.

Try out the enhanced multicore support in 1.04!

Postby Redlum » Wed Feb 04, 2009 11:06 pm

Version 1.04 is out and includes the new multicore support for osx. I encourage everyone to try this out and post your results here. You can find it under transcoding settings and then mencoder.

Obviously you will need a multicore CPU and the support is experimental, so results may vary.

I've been using it for a while and it's been working great for me :)
Redlum
Project Member

Re: Try out the enhanced multicore support in 1.04!

Postby dan99 » Thu Feb 05, 2009 12:06 am

Thanks a lot !!
I was looking forward for that !! ...

I've just tested it ... looks like it works ... I can see 1080p movies ! which I couldn't before.
But, I use PMS since version 1.02, and I still have the same issue. Mencoder does quit correctly. The result is that sometimes I have 5, 6 or more mencoder process in memory. PMS can quit until I kill all the mencoder process.
I still have this problem with 1.04

Anyway, that's a great sofware ! thank you indeed.

dAN
dan99

Postby Redlum » Thu Feb 05, 2009 12:29 am

Yes that's a problem we are still working on. It's proven to be a hard nut to crack so far. Hopefully any issues with crashing mencoder and mkfifo stuff will be fixed or worked around in the next version.
Redlum
Project Member

Postby dan99 » Thu Feb 05, 2009 9:26 am

Thank you for the answer ...
now I'm looking forward for the next version ... :D

DAN
dan99

Postby acemt » Fri Feb 06, 2009 12:13 am

I am getting MEncoder MT crashes when I use this. Disabling the multicore support seems to make it alot more stable. Also, still having to "force quit" the application upon shutdown to quit the application. Thanks
acemt

Postby spedepasanen » Fri Feb 06, 2009 8:14 pm

Any info when the Mencoder crashing problem might be fixed, or if there's any quickfixes for it.. I get the crash message every time I try to watch HD video.. :oops:

Btw. PS3 Media server rules, thank you so much for this :)
spedepasanen

Postby Redlum » Sat Feb 07, 2009 12:35 am

Not really, it's an ongoing process and we haven't found an easy fix yet. Although you seem to be experiencing it more then you should, what kind of files are that?
Redlum
Project Member

Postby spedepasanen » Sat Feb 07, 2009 10:34 am

It's a .mkv file, both the mkv and the transcoded one crash right in the begining. Sometimes it plays for few secnds with sound and then stops. When I check the Mac it says Mencoder has stopped working unexpectedly.. real bummer this one. I tried playing with Mencoder setting but didn't get anywhere with that. Using Multiple cores makes the video play a little bit longer but then Mencoder just crashes again. The Video file plays fine in my mac.
spedepasanen

Postby acemt » Sun Feb 08, 2009 7:21 am

I too am getting MEncoder crashes with just about any .mkv. I thought after I turned of the dual core support, that it was more stable, but it is NOT. Still crashes with most files. Even with fresh re-boot and nothing else running.
acemt

Postby philophob » Sun Feb 08, 2009 4:41 pm

First of all, thank you so much for sharing/maintaining such a great software for PS3 community, developers. :D
I just tried 1.04 OSX and it crashes with MencoderMT with movies that I try to play with.
Here is what's happening though. Movies started out playing fine but after few mins, it started to stutter and finally froze then error popped up saying MencoderMT has crashed.
Is 1.03 better in terms of stability?
Hopefully, we will get this problem solved and be happy together~~ ;)
philophob

Next

Return to Mac OS X Support