Sony Bravia 32V5500 media streaming

For help and support with issues specific to Mac OS X
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply.

Sony Bravia 32V5500 media streaming

Postby dougblake85 » Fri Oct 16, 2009 9:51 pm

Hi,

This isn't a question just a quick share. I recently bought a Sony Bravia 32V5500 TV and it took me some time to get it to stream media from my Mac/PC. I tried various setups, I started with PS3 Media Server (the non beta version, v1.10.5 and wasn't able to get the TV to find any servers.
I also tried various other software setups, including using a Windows PC. (Windows Media Player built in server, Nero, Twonky and a few more....) I was able to stream music quite easily but no joy with videos, and a couple the TV just never even saw the server. I was about to give up when I found the link for the beta (viewtopic.php?f=2&t=3217). I downloaded this and it pretty much worked straight away - ABSOLUTELY BRILLIANT PIECE OF SOFTWARE THAT CAN ONLY GET BETTER!!!!
I have well over 400GB of videos - movies and tv shows all stored on my mac and external drive - the beta version detected the TV straight away and with a bit of tinkering around its pretty much perfect.
The TV is connected via cable to my netgear router and my mac is in the room next door wirelessly (so not super fast) - I changed some of the video quality settings within transcode settings and it streams perfectly over a wireless network, even 1080p movies (they look AMAZING). Occasionally the Mencoder software crashes on the mac but thats all, can't complain. From what I can understand (and I maybe completely wrong so sorry if I am) but the mac transcodes the movie to a readable format for the TV on the fly, my specs are Intel 2.16 Core 2 Duo with 2.5GB RAM. I would expect you would need a reasonable decent machine for this to work well but as I said I don't have any problems.

I hope this helps anyone who was having my problems, and if I can help at all i'd be happy to if so. Good luck for anyone else
dougblake85

Re: Sony Bravia 32V5500 media streaming

Postby schlaffa » Thu Dec 03, 2009 3:56 pm

Hi, I am trying to stream media from my windows pc to the same model bravia. I have tried Windows Media Player, myiHome, ps3 media server. The bravia will not detect a server (under server diagnostics). Windows Media Player detected the Bravia straight away. The music list on the Bravia is empty. Am I missing something?
schlaffa

Return to Mac OS X Support