Same Problem? Same Solution?

For help and support with issues specific to Mac OS X
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply.

Same Problem? Same Solution?

Postby clay tiller » Thu Oct 15, 2009 3:07 am

I'll start by saying that I know little about networking and less about PS3. However I have spent a LOT of time in the past week on forums like this trying to figure out how to install a media server, using an Airport Extreme router. So far I've learned that many, many people have trouble doing this. What I can't always tell is whether there is one set of issues to be resolved, or many. This is in part because posts aren't always clear about 1)The computer operating system used 2) The PS3 software version 3) Whether the P_S3 is connected via an ethernet port or wirelessly 4) what Airport software version. Add to this the fact that I have only a vague notion of port forcing and you can see why I hope that someone can help me thru my problem.

I am using OS X 10.6.1 and an Airport Extreme router with the following characteristics:

Software Versions:
Menu Extra: 6.0 (600.22)
configd plug-in: 6.0 (600.27)
System Profiler: 6.0 (600.9)
Network Preference: 6.0 (600.22)
AirPort Utility: 5.4.2 (542.23)
IO80211 Family: 3.0 (300.20)
Interfaces:
en1:
Card Type: AirPort Extreme (0x14E4, 0x87)
Firmware Version: Broadcom BCM43xx 1.0 (5.10.91.19)
Locale: FCC
Country Code: US
Supported PHY Modes: 802.11 a/b/g/n
Supported Channels: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 36, 40, 44, 48, 52, 56, 60, 64, 149, 153, 157, 161, 165
Current Network Information:
REDACTED Networkname:
PHY Mode: 802.11n
BSSID: Redacted
Channel: 2
Network Type: Infrastructure
Security: WPA2 Personal
Signal / Noise: -37 dBm / -94 dBm
Transmit Rate: 13
MCS Index: 1

I have without difficulty connected my new PS3 (Software version 3.0) wireless to my network. That is, I can access settings on the PS menu and the browser there works. However, like so many others, I cannot get PS3 Media Server to see my PS3. Since I can use Boot Camp and boot in Windows XP and have the same problem, I ASSUME that my problem lies in the fact that the routher is not UnP capable.

My question is can I connect wirelessly to a media server, and if so, how? Step by Step instructions, in the most detail possible, would be GREATLY appreciated.
clay tiller

Re: Same Problem? Same Solution?

Postby 5stringdeath » Thu Oct 15, 2009 5:08 pm

I have an AEBS as well ... worked out of the box with no problems.

The only issues I know of (from other threads) are:

Your specific router settings/NAT etc. I did not have to forward any ports on mine however. "It just works" :D I have mine set up doing DHCP to my internal network, pretty standard stuff. Also you need to check on which kind of encryption you are using ... I can't remember WHICH is bad, but one of them causes problems. As a test, maybe turn it off for a bit and see if it works. Personally I'm just using Hidden SSID's and MAC address filtering, so that's not an issue for me.

Firewall on your computer. Turn it off and try. If its already off, then I dunno really. Sorry.
5stringdeath

Postby clay tiller » Fri Oct 16, 2009 9:27 pm

Yeah, that's what so frustrating. There seems to be little rhyme or reason to who has a problem and what fixes it. Unfortunately for me, I have tried the the solutions you suggest (except port forwarding, which I haven't got my head around), but to no avail.

Thanks for caring.
clay tiller

Postby cheule » Sat Oct 17, 2009 7:05 am

I also have an Airport Extreme Base station, and have no problems with PMS seeing my PS3. However, I do (and have always) have my PS3 set up in what is often termed "DMZ." DMZ or Default Host is basically all ports are forwarded to that device. So if you think port forwarding will help, then simply put your PS3 into the DMZ (again, called Default Host on ABS) and you won't have to think about forwarding particular ports, they will all be forwarded.

Go to Airport Utility (in Utilities folder), Select the Base station, then Select Internet Tab, then select Nat sub tab, then select Enable default host, and enter your PS3's IP.

BTW, I have my PS3 in default host for gaming. Many games like CoD:WaW won't connect to other hosts if all the ports aren't forwarded to the PS3.
cheule

Postby 5stringdeath » Sat Oct 17, 2009 7:21 am

Interesting ... I'm the opposite. My PS3 Media Server box is in my DMZ - mainly because its a server box doing other duties as well.

I've never had to forward ports or put the PS3 in a DMZ to make any game work online. May depend on your internet provider / method of connection though.

Port forwarding shouldn't really be an issue anyhow, since the PS3MS and PS3 are all on the same LAN.
5stringdeath

Postby cheule » Sat Oct 17, 2009 7:33 am

My clan on COD:WaW have noticed that if the PS3 isn't in DMZ, and you host a room, players often cannot connect to your room when invited. So it can happen fwiw.
cheule

Return to Mac OS X Support