Subtitled video problem

For help and support with issues specific to Mac OS X
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply.

Subtitled video problem

Postby braddavery » Wed Oct 14, 2009 12:49 am

Most .avi files I have used work fine, but when I try and use one with subtitles, it comes up as corrupted. I try them on VLC and they are fine. I try them without the subtitle .srt file and it works fine. It's only when the subtitles are supposed to be used it doesn't work. Any suggestions?
braddavery

Re: Subtitled video problem

Postby attila7575 » Fri Oct 23, 2009 10:39 pm

I have the very same problem.

If I check the "auto load subtitles", I get corrupted data.

I figured out that transcoding does not work at all on my config. The .avi file works fine when it does not need transcoding, but if I ever choose the [Transcode] option, I get "corrupted data".
I tried every option possible, searched over the 9 pages of osx support on this forum, but nothing.

If I start playing an avi without transcoding, I see in the PSM's status line that "Serving *****.avi" and it works. When transcoding comes into to the process, this "Serving..." line appears only for about for a flash, and I get corrupted data.

Any file, that is said to be supported by PSM, other that is natively supported by PS3, is unable to play (dvd iso, mkv, or any other format than avi/xvid).

What is the problem on my mac with transcoding? Leopard, 20" imac core2duo.

Please help!
attila7575

Postby shagrath » Sat Oct 24, 2009 1:12 am

hard to answer this without proper logs: viewtopic.php?f=7&t=78
shagrath
Project Lead

Postby attila7575 » Tue Oct 27, 2009 7:45 pm

shagrath wrote:hard to answer this without proper logs: viewtopic.php?f=7&t=78

Hello shagrath,

thank you for taking care about this problem.

After you told me to send the log file, I checked the logfile. I think I localized the problem.

When it was needed to transcode, the PSM called an external program (ffmpeg) in the Java/osx folder. The ffmpeg started, and quitted as "no such file or directory" and quoted the entire directory path.
And that was the point when I got some lightbulb over my head :) The avi files are on an external volume on my system, called "Raktár". As you see it contains a accentuated caharcter. I got curious that if I rename it to something not accentuated, what happens. And everything got working flawlessly.

I thint this is the main problem with subtitling --- definetely those users want subtitling, who speak a different language than english. And then the ffmpeg crashes since it can not understand these characters (uhm-uhm...), and many languages - other than english - have these letters, in filenames, and in volume names too.

After all I have to tell you, that I tried some media server apps for osx, and FAR the PS3 Media Server was the best to handle strange characters, many other softwares put some ' and " in filenames instead of using ó or ő letters --- unfortunately these happen often in my languege (Hungarian).

So I think that the widely usable solution would be to make ffmpeg able to handle these little letters :)
attila7575

Return to Mac OS X Support