Mac OS X 10.6 + SONY V5500

For help and support with issues specific to Mac OS X
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply.

Mac OS X 10.6 + SONY V5500

Postby mikkon » Mon Sep 21, 2009 3:02 pm

Hey !

Could anyone please write an easy understandable "walkthrough" for installing PMS with right configurations for Sony Bravia KDL-40V5500.

Thanks !

.m
mikkon

Re: Mac OS X 10.6 + SONY V5500

Postby cnorrick » Thu Sep 24, 2009 1:41 am

I've got it running, well, everything works except videos, on 10.6 using these steps.

Install the latest beta from Redlum: http://ps3mediaserver.org/files/pms-mac ... a-r356.dmg
It has configs built in for your TV (and other "renderers").

If you are running the Mac Firewall, turn it off before launching PMS, turn it back on after launch/detection of your TV.
The screen will look like this once the connection is made:

Under the Navigation/Share Settings tab I have "Show iPhone Library" and "Show iTunes Library" checked so I can browse those on the TV. Keep in mind that even though all these different types of media folders will show up in each section of the Cross Media Bar on the TV, each media type will only work where they should. i.e. you can only play music when under the Music menu on the TV, etc.

I moved all my movies to a single folder and added that folder under the Shared folders menu. That way my entire mac isn't viewable on the TV, only one folder. Alas, movies won't yet play on my TV. I get a "No Items to Display" message when I try. Some day I think I'll get it to work.

Also, each time you restart PMS on your Mac you will get a new server icon on the TV. You have to delete the old one manually from the settings menu on the TV. I have a modified file I got from someone on the board that fixed this for me. I'll find the link if you want it.

I'm no expert at this program, but that's what is mostly working for me.
cnorrick

Postby mikkon » Fri Sep 25, 2009 7:38 am

Thanks for this mate ! When ever you find a way to play videos on your Sony, please let me know how to do it ! :)

.m
mikkon

Postby cnorrick » Sat Sep 26, 2009 7:18 pm

It may well work on your 5500 tv. Give it a shot and report back.

I've put up a post asking for help in the Streaming/Networking subforum and the developers are aware of the issues and suggested a fix may be in the next beta.
cnorrick

Postby TvE » Sun Sep 27, 2009 9:11 am

mikkon wrote:Thanks for this mate ! When ever you find a way to play videos on your Sony, please let me know how to do it ! :)

.m

I think that the lack of video playback is a limitation of the TV set (IIRC I read so on Sony's website).

I have a W5500 which is fully capable of playing videos from the r356 (though I only tested it from 10.5.8)

UPDATE: It's the W4500 series that does not do video - the V5500 series does indeed do Video (at least on paper ;-)
TvE

Postby mikkon » Thu Oct 01, 2009 9:01 am

Actually everything is working now right like it should. :) Thanks for Your help, because now its fast and easy to watch .mkv movies without any cables needed.

- Mikko
mikkon

Postby dougblake85 » Fri Oct 16, 2009 9:53 pm

Hey - i have this working well with the 32" version of your TV. let me know if you still have issues.
dougblake85

Postby Thunderbear » Tue Nov 03, 2009 7:17 pm

Hi! Every time I restart PMS I get a new server on the tv and have to manually delete the old one. Did someone have a modified file that can fix it? Thanks in advance!
Thunderbear

Postby BladeRunn » Wed Nov 18, 2009 10:23 pm

Hi guys.
First post in this Forum, hope it contributes.

Here is my experience with a 42' LG Scarlet Full HD LCD screen, my recently acquired Slim 120 g PS3 and Yamaha 61 HomeTheater, all interconnected between each other and my wireless network which provides both wifi access to Internet to th PS3 as well as to my Mac Book Pro. Everything working perfectly. This on itself proof that THERE IS A GOD, and that he SMILES AT ME!!!!

LCD connected directly to the PS3 via an expensive but happy to have paid for Sony HDMI cable; As mentioned, PS3 connected to the shared folder in my MacBook Pro unibody via WiFi.

Most important of all: I have both PS3 Media Server AND VUZE Installed in my Mac. Whenever I need to transfer files to and from, I switch on PS3 Media Server,which gives me the proper access to my Mac from my PS3.

Here comes the good thing: I download any format of video and run it through Vuze's integrated PS3 specific converter. It will convert any file to a format the PS3 will read.

This converted file can then be easily copied into the PS3's hard drive and watched at leisure. I have downloaded several different movies and seen them without a problem.

Hope it works... any doubts, I'll be happy to clarify.
BladeRunn

Return to Mac OS X Support