Crossover Cable trouble

For help and support with issues specific to Mac OS X
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply.

Crossover Cable trouble

Postby miggymigs » Thu Aug 13, 2009 1:28 am

Hi All, Miggy here.

I want to connect the PS3 directly to my Macbook. I have to do it this way as I'm all wireless here and the router is in a separate building that I don't always have access to. So basically, I can't hardwire everything to the router, or I would.

I recently bought a Cat6 crossover cable and I've been trying to follow the instructions elsewhere in these forums, but I can't seem to get my PS3 to interact with the Mac, not that I really know what I'm doing.

I have tried:
1) Assigning static ip's to both the mac and the ps3.
2) I tried internet sharing (in spite of the hefty warning from leopard) and there was no visible result.

I don't care about the PS3 having internet, unless it's a necessary part of the solution.

I have a Macbook, 2 Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo, 4gb RAM and OS 10.5.8.

I really don't know what else to try and my wifi is not (as of yet) able to stream anything without stuttering.

Thanks in advance for any help...
miggymigs

Re: Crossover Cable trouble

Postby cheule » Thu Aug 13, 2009 7:50 am

I have hooked up my PS3 directly to my Macbook pro without problem in the past. So it can be done. What I did was tell my Mac to be on a static, manually assigned IP. I did the same on the PS3. I set a manual IP. Both need to have the same subnet prefixes, i.e. both should be 192.168.1.x where x will be different.

The subnet you assign them to doesn't matter at all. In fact I used he assignment the Mac defaults to when there is no DHCP server. I forget the numbers at the moment. Maker sure if you use 192.168.1.x that you set the subnet mask to 255.255.255.0 and the router address to 192.168.1.1.

As far as if you need a crossover cable or a normal patch cable, the answer is either. Your Macbook probably has gigabit ethernet (you didn't mention the year, but I'm assuming it's intel based). Gigabit ethernet will auto configure the port for crossover or not. It's actually very cool. The PS3 is gigabit also, so as I say it doesn't matter what type of cable you use.

Once you've set both up manually, make sure PMS is getting the correct IP and network interface. If it isn't start forcing the correct ones. Internet sharing is not needed for any of this to work. As I say, I've done this in the past and it works fine.
cheule

Postby miggymigs » Thu Aug 13, 2009 9:18 am

Well, I could have sworn I'd tried what you put before, but I followed your post to the letter and this time it worked. Ironically, it worked once and then stopped working, showing only the big red X. I couldn't reconnect, but ultimately it was forcing the IP that got it up and running. (Like a goddamned charm, I might add).

I guess that was my problem all along. Thanks for the concise instructions!
miggymigs

Postby cheule » Thu Aug 13, 2009 9:43 pm

Thanks for the follow up, glad it working for you!
cheule

Return to Mac OS X Support