Constent network errors

For help and support with issues specific to Mac OS X
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply.

Constent network errors

Postby gazzzmoly » Fri Jul 31, 2009 10:08 pm

I am constently having network errors while streaming .avi's I am on a 2.93 ghz 4gb imac network is hard wired ethernet 10/100base when i say constent i mean10 times at least within a 40 minute video.

error (80710736)
gazzzmoly

Re: Constent network errors

Postby meskibob » Sat Aug 01, 2009 1:01 am

a) One thread at a time (others deleted)
b) A little searching would lead you to several posts and threads regarding this issue. It's an issue between OSX and the PS3 firmware, and the current workaround is to transcode the AVI's (and MP4's for some people)
I provide NO application support via PM or email, so please post your question to the forum per the Forum Rules.
meskibob

Postby gazzzmoly » Sat Aug 01, 2009 12:47 pm

meskibob wrote:a) One thread at a time (others deleted)
b) A little searching would lead you to several posts and threads regarding this issue. It's an issue between OSX and the PS3 firmware, and the current workaround is to transcode the AVI's (and MP4's for some people)

not sure if that is acuate as the issue dosnt happen with rivet !!
gazzzmoly

Postby meskibob » Sat Aug 01, 2009 2:36 pm

gazzzmoly wrote:not sure if that is acuate as the issue dosnt happen with rivet !!
If that's the case, then have both rivet and PMS stream the exact same AVI file that PMS errors but rivet doesn't and post a packet trace (I'd suggest Wireshark) for both cases. That can help figure out what exactly is going on.
However, some searching of the CynicalPeak forums seems to indicate that it is still happening to people with their most recent version (http://forums.cynicalpeak.com/viewtopic.php?id=594), although they seem to suggest that disabling the HD upscaling in the PS3 settings helps remove the constant network errors with AVI streaming.

And note, their workaround requires changing a value in the PS3 firmware that is fine with every other Windows and Linux OS so far, so I'd still say this is an OSX/PS3 issue :P
I provide NO application support via PM or email, so please post your question to the forum per the Forum Rules.
meskibob

Postby gazzzmoly » Mon Aug 03, 2009 3:01 pm

like i said not sure if it was accurate ! i wasn't saying that you was wrong just that with any software there maybe inconsistencies with data exchange hence the errors the same program may do the exact same thing but handle it in a completely different way.

but i think that you are right i did disable dvd upscaling on my ps3 sometime ago now that you mention it, although if it cured it on rivet why not ps3 media server ?
gazzzmoly

Postby meskibob » Mon Aug 03, 2009 3:17 pm

gazzzmoly wrote:like i said not sure if it was accurate ! i wasn't saying that you was wrong just that with any software there maybe inconsistencies with data exchange hence the errors the same program may do the exact same thing but handle it in a completely different way.
And that's where a packet trace could come in handy to compare what each program is doing (especially since rivet doesn't transcode)
gazzzmoly wrote:but i think that you are right i did disable dvd upscaling on my ps3 sometime ago now that you mention it, although if it cured it on rivet why not ps3 media server ?
Dunno, which is again why a packet trace would be beneficial
meskibob

Postby cheule » Wed Aug 05, 2009 1:37 am

Not trying to derail this thread at all, but I'm curious is anyone had the same experience I had regarding the network errors.

I had them regularly with PMS (as well as medialink, mediatomb, etc). Then I upgraded my old netgear router to a Apple Time Capsule, and they all went away. I have not had a network error on an .avi in months. Wondering if anyone else does NOT have the problems, and also has an Apple TC?
cheule

Postby eikonal » Wed Aug 19, 2009 11:42 am

I had the same problem but with my TC. Now anytime I play an .avi I go to the <transcode> folder and play the .avi using mencoder. This seems to have solved my problem.
eikonal

Postby cheule » Sat Aug 22, 2009 8:03 pm

Transcoding .avis is definitely a fix. But of course then you loose quite a bit of responsiveness with FF and RW. It's so weird, I wish I knew why my current setup does *not* produce these errors, while my old setup did. If I knew that answer, I would surely share it with you guys.
cheule

Postby JimmyEvil » Tue Nov 10, 2009 10:47 am

(There's a few topics on this subject and I haven't seen the below workaround posted. This is the most recent thread, so I'll post this here)

Manually updating your trophies information in your PSN Profile after you've played a game will get rid of those damned 80710736 errors once and for all, eliminating the need for transcoding as well as significantly speeding up the time it takes to start your files playing.

Seriously, this was a revelation to me. Here's the blow-by-blow.

1. Go to the XMB and scroll right across to Friends
2. Scroll down to your avatar/user name and hit triangle
3. Select Profile
4. Watch your trophies load up.
5. Play your avis through PMS and enjoy fast, high-quality streaming with no need for transcoding and no network errors!

As far as I can tell, you only need to repeat this process after you've added another trophy to your collection. I can understand why no-one found this. Seriously - who uses that function?!

It's not a problem fixer, but it's a simple and effective workaround. Hope this helps.
JimmyEvil

Next

Return to Mac OS X Support