Workaround stream *.mkv from Apple PPC to PS 3

For help and support with issues specific to Mac OS X
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply.

Workaround stream *.mkv from Apple PPC to PS 3

Postby Ice-t » Thu Jul 30, 2009 9:42 am

As long as there is no PMS version for older G5/G4 PPC Apple machines you can try "MKV2VOB" on a Windows PC:http://www.mkv2vob.com/showthread.php?tid=1

Without transcoding it changes the *.mkv container to *.mpeg
You can then stream this files even from an older Apple perfectly to the PS 3 using PMS

A HD movie takes about 10 minutes to be processed on an quite old 2.8 GHz Pentium 4.
At least one reason to still have a PC around ;)
Ice-t

Re: Workaround stream *.mkv from Apple PPC to PS 3

Postby cheule » Fri Jul 31, 2009 3:09 am

Your title is a bit misleading LOL. Pre-transcoding to MPEG2 with a PC =/= "stream *.mkv from PPC"

But as long as you bring it up, I also have used GotSent in the past. Similar to MKV2Vob in function, but a bit more superior in form I think.

GotSent webpage: http://sentry23.googlepages.com/
cheule

Re: Workaround stream *.mkv from Apple PPC to PS 3

Postby Ice-t » Sat Aug 01, 2009 11:45 am

Okay, it might be misleading but it is still a way to somehow stream *.mkv from an older Apple.

Interesting by the way is that even an only 1.0 GHz PPC iBook is able to stream HD files (*.mpeg) to the PS 3. In 720p with 5.1 audio. Mine is connected to 100 Mbit Ethernet and it does a perfect job. Keeping in mind that you can get old iBooks quite cheap on Ebay it is a perfect mediaserver: small, low on electricity, almost silent, still good looking. I have a chain of two firewire external harddrives and a USB external drive connected and all works seamless with PMS. Hopefully there will be a PPC version sometime so that converting of *.mkv will no longer be necessary.

I will check "Gotsent" too.
Ice-t

Return to Mac OS X Support