Running PMS under Windows - VMWare Fusion

For help and support with issues specific to Mac OS X
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply.

Running PMS under Windows - VMWare Fusion

Postby ridgerock » Fri Jan 30, 2009 6:36 pm

Just FYI for other users, when I run PMS under Windows in a Fusion VM, I get amazing performance and stability, reliably transcoding 1080p files that struggle to transcode when running the OS X version. I'm sure this will even out in the long run, so I continue to also run the OS X version when possible, but when actually watching a 1080p movie, I use VMWare. I'm running it on a 2.52 Ghz unibody Macbook Pro, and have two cores enabled in VMWare - it is presumably the new multicore support in PMS that is providing the difference in performance.
ridgerock

Re: Running PMS under Windows - VMWare Fusion

Postby Gigabit » Fri Jan 30, 2009 10:33 pm

Hi
What setting are you using under vmare and under PMS?

I have a imac 2.8Ghz the new one with the 1ghz bus and 4 gigs of ram
i cant get a 1080p to play with out skipping.

yes both cores are setup in vmware
thanks
Gigabit

Postby ridgerock » Mon Feb 02, 2009 5:27 pm

I'm using a pretty much a default setup in VMware for Windows XP - I think the only relevant setting is 2 CPUs and 512 MB. PMS is running with a default setup, i.e. using TSMuxer. If you're using less that 512MB, I suppose it's possible that could be causing your problem - the default buffer size in PMS is 400MB, and so once the buffer fills, it could be swapping out to disk.

You should make certain also that PMS itself is set to use 2 cores under Transcoder settings (it should indicate in the field label for that setting how many cores it detected). I didn't need to make any changes - it detected 2 cores and defaulted to 2 cores.
ridgerock

Postby Gigabit » Tue Feb 03, 2009 12:49 am

Thats strange im using 2 gigs of ram for vmware

WEre are you storing your mkv on the vmware drive or as a shared drive?

Min are on a network drive? Wonder if that is making it skip

I changed the ac3 encoding to 640 works like a charm now even over network
Gigabit

Return to Mac OS X Support