streaming purchased iTunes materials?

For help and support with issues specific to Mac OS X
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply.

streaming purchased iTunes materials?

Postby j2048b » Wed May 06, 2009 5:53 pm

Is there a way for ps3ms to stream my iTunes purchased movies?
j2048b

Re: streaming purchased iTunes materials?

Postby meskibob » Wed May 06, 2009 6:04 pm

If those are DRM'd, then no (atleast not until MEncoder/TSmuxer support them).
I provide NO application support via PM or email, so please post your question to the forum per the Forum Rules.
meskibob

Postby j2048b » Wed May 06, 2009 6:06 pm

how can you tell if they are DRM'ed?

thanks
j2048b

Postby meskibob » Wed May 06, 2009 6:18 pm

Pretty much anything bought from iTunes is DRM protected unless explicity stated otherwise (hence the whole move to DRM-Free music purchases through the store at the higher price). I honestly dont know if there's a flag you can see in the file's properties that states it has DRM protection... But pretty much the easiest test is try to play the file in a different media player (like VLC) while not connected to the internet. If it doesn't play, it has DRM.
I provide NO application support via PM or email, so please post your question to the forum per the Forum Rules.
meskibob

Postby Redlum » Wed May 06, 2009 6:20 pm

Right click on a song in iTunes and select get info. It will say either Protected AAC audio file (that's DRM) or Purchased AAC audio file (no DRM). You can also look at the bitrate, 256kbps is DRM free (iTunes plus) and 128kbps is with DRM.

Almost all music bought from the iTunes store now is DRM free, and songs with DRM you can upgrade to iTunes plus for a price.
Redlum
Project Member

Postby j2048b » Wed May 06, 2009 8:02 pm

thanks guys!!
j2048b

Postby cheule » Wed Jun 24, 2009 7:38 am

j2048b, oh and for what it's worth, there are no streaming solutions outside of Apple's iTunes itself that can play back Apple's DRM (FairPlay). So this isn't just a PMS thang, it's a every app in the world thang. Don't know if that makes it better or worse for you, but there you go!

Also, Redlum has a pretty good way to tell (by the bitrate), but I prefer this: If you are on a Mac (not sure if there's an equivalent trick on Windows), you can right click on a track in iTunes, and select "Show in finder." It will open a finder window with the track selected. If it sends in .m4a, it's DRM-less. If it's .m4p, it's DRM-ridden. If you cannot see the file extensions, Click on a blank portion of the desktop, under finder pull down, select preferences, then Advanced, then "Show all file extensions."
cheule

Return to Mac OS X Support