Mac OS X 10.4.11 Server - Twonky vs PS3 MS

For help and support with issues specific to Mac OS X
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply.

Mac OS X 10.4.11 Server - Twonky vs PS3 MS

Postby kpkeating » Fri Jan 23, 2009 6:41 pm

Hi all,

I just tried out the current 1.03 version of PS3 MS on my old Mac Cube 450Mhz running OS X Server 10.4.11 and it seems to work great. I'm not streaming any HD content, but plenty of XVIDs and MP3s. Over the past year or so, I've been using Twonky but thought I'd try something new and at least so far, it seems stable and does what I need it to do.

Just thought I'd compliment your effort and let you know that it seems to be running fine on such an old machine.

Keep up the great work,

k
kpkeating

Re: Mac OS X 10.4.11 Server - Twonky vs PS3 MS

Postby Redlum » Fri Jan 23, 2009 10:46 pm

Cool :) Transcoding wouldn't work anyway, as it's Intel only for now.
Redlum
Project Member

Re: Mac OS X 10.4.11 Server - Twonky vs PS3 MS

Postby nayr » Sat Jan 24, 2009 2:59 am

Ive tried everything on every platform, Twonky, Fuppies, TVirsity, Linux/Windows/OSX and PS3MS hands down beats everything else hands down and it runs on all the operating systems.

This project has been long needed, all my media is now available to my ps3.. and with features and speed that makes the rest look pitiful.

This project has solved numerous issues Ive had over the years..
- Bundles transcoder binaries, everything else requires that you install ffmpeg/mencoder/mplayer on your own.. and it seems no stock distribution comes with the features/versioning needed so I spent so much time hand building packages only to get em broken the next OS release.
- It doesn't need to scan my entire filesystem structure, I have 4TB of media.. Including a couple hundreds of gigs of audio, indexing this was painfull and had to be repeated when adding anything or eat up a ton of cycles looking for changes in stuff that hasn't changed in a decade..
- Plays practically every file format w/little effort..
- Easy to use, I can compile software and troubleshoot code, but that shouldn't be expected of users.

only complaints I have are it wont load in background and it needs to be much faster at displaying thumbnails of images when viewing large folders of large pictures... Seems like only Twonky was able to do this as quick as I want, other dnla media servers were roughly the same speed as PS3 MS so I am not disappointed in any way.

I plan on donating as soon as I get the money... great job dev team :D
nayr

Return to Mac OS X Support