HARD WIRE CONNECTION TO PS3 FROM MACBOOK OR AIRPORT EXPRESS

For help and support with issues specific to Mac OS X
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply.

HARD WIRE CONNECTION TO PS3 FROM MACBOOK OR AIRPORT EXPRESS

Postby myles87 » Sat Nov 24, 2012 2:17 am

Hi there,

I simply cannot get the ps3 media server to give me stutter free playback wirelessly from my macbook. Currently, my airport express station is connected via ethernet to the ps3 to help with online gaming (as the wireless signal in my loving room is shite). I cannot find in any posts how I can directly connect my macbook via ethernet or usb cord to the ps3 either directly or through the airport...

I hope someone can help.

Thanks.
myles87

Re: HARD WIRE CONNECTION TO PS3 FROM MACBOOK OR AIRPORT EXPR

Postby flymaus » Mon Nov 26, 2012 12:36 am

I'll take a stab at this. Basically if you are going to stream or transcode full 1080P it's not going to happen wirelessly without stutter unless you make the PMS tighten up the transcoding settings so that you are having your processor work overtime to keep the data rate down.

For me I just thought I'll hard wire an ethernet connection from the AIrport Extreme to the PS3. So I have a cat 6 cable between them. currently I'm going keyint=4:vqscale=1:vqmin=2 Tell the PS3 to only connect wired. Also if you still have problems I told both the PS3 and the Airport not to automatically negotiate the connection I said go for 1000BT or whatever the highest speed I could. The auto negotiation can slow things down.

Hope this helps...

I'll get more technical if you need it this was just form memory...

Also your macbook if it has to transcode HD might be the problem too. Asking it to keep a data rate down may cause the processor to be overloaded in your case you may want to go full blast quality settings because the frame will be decoded and then transmitted across the ethernet. Not decoded and then kept along with a couple others then compared for key frames to keep the data rate down and then transmitted If you ask the processor to start key framing with an interval of 4-15 your processor may say whoa!
flymaus

Return to Mac OS X Support