Removal of fontconfig from MEncoder in 1.71.0

For help and support with issues specific to Mac OS X
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply.

Removal of fontconfig from MEncoder in 1.71.0

Postby pacanug » Thu Nov 08, 2012 6:49 am

Quick question regarding the removal of fontconfig...will it be added again when the MEncoder build is updated in a future version or is it gone for good? I rather enjoyed the specific fonts used in the subbed anime that I watch. Pardon my ignorance and thank you in advance.
pacanug

Re: Removal of fontconfig from MEncoder in 1.71.0

Postby Raptor399 » Thu Nov 08, 2012 9:20 am

pacanug wrote:Quick question regarding the removal of fontconfig...will it be added again when the MEncoder build is updated in a future version or is it gone for good? I rather enjoyed the specific fonts used in the subbed anime that I watch. Pardon my ignorance and thank you in advance.

That depends on fontconfig/MEncoder compatibility on Mac OSX in the future. Yes, I rather liked the additional formatting as well, but unfortunately using fontconfig also broke support for some types of subs.

The removal of fontconfig gave us support for more types of subs, in the process we lost support for some types of formatting and everything shows in a default font. If the situation improves in the future, I'll be happy to include fontconfig support for MEncoder on Mac OSX again.
Raptor399
Project Member

Re: Removal of fontconfig from MEncoder in 1.71.0

Postby pacanug » Thu Nov 08, 2012 9:21 pm

Thanks for the reply. Guess I'll stick with 1.70.1 and keep an eye on the changelog. And just to clarify, the tickbox in Transcoding Settings->MEncoder->Fontconfig/Embedded fonts does nothing in 1.71.0, correct?
pacanug

Return to Mac OS X Support