Sharing external hard drives?

For help and support with issues specific to Mac OS X
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply.

Sharing external hard drives?

Postby jpveedubs » Wed Sep 12, 2012 7:47 pm

I have an old MacBook Pro that I've been using as an iTunes media server for my music and movies for a couple of years, now, however, I discovered that with the PS3 Media Server software for Mac OSX, I may have no need for my Apple TV and iTunes solutions anymore, since I'd be able to simply stream content from my computer(s) to my PS3, instead.

I tested the software out on my Windows 7-based laptop, and it worked brilliantly. However, once I installed PS3 Media Server on the Mac, things got a little fishy; I can't seem to select any external devices (hard drives), let alone folders on them, to share over my network, to stream video or music to my PS3.

Is there something that I'm overlooking? How can I share external hard drives to my PS3 using the PS3 Media Server software?
jpveedubs

Re: Sharing external hard drives?

Postby meskibob » Wed Sep 12, 2012 8:07 pm

I provide NO application support via PM or email, so please post your question to the forum per the Forum Rules.
meskibob

Postby jpveedubs » Wed Sep 12, 2012 8:22 pm

Thanks. I checked it out, and have those devices mapped; I added them all, as well as the local folders, to the sharing list, and nothing changed. No folders or files appear, at all, when I select my Mac's PS3 Media Server. Any other ideas...?
jpveedubs

Postby meskibob » Wed Sep 12, 2012 8:26 pm

I provide NO application support via PM or email, so please post your question to the forum per the Forum Rules.
meskibob

Postby jpveedubs » Wed Sep 12, 2012 8:28 pm

I did notice - I hadn't before - that I get an error message a couple of minutes after I select the Mac PS3 Media Server, saying "A DLNS Protocol Error (2006) has occurred.", before "There are no titles." shows on my screen. No real idea what this is.
jpveedubs

Postby boike22 » Wed Oct 17, 2012 8:31 pm

your external drives (on a Mac) are listed under "Volumes".. I don't have the exact steps to select them as I am not by my computer and/or TV, but I had the same problem after shifting to using PS3MediaServer on a mac from a PC.

Find the folder "Volumes," and your external hard drives will be listed in that folder.
boike22

Postby poiromaniax » Mon Oct 29, 2012 9:37 pm

Go to finder , from the top of the screen select "Go" - "Go to folder" - type in /Volumes and hit enter. You will see all your external HDDs listed there. Just drag them into the inclusion window and that's it
poiromaniax

Return to Mac OS X Support