Connecting via ethernet from Mac

For help and support with issues specific to Mac OS X
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply.

Connecting via ethernet from Mac

Postby kidblue » Wed Sep 12, 2012 5:08 am

Longtime listener, first-time caller here.

I've been up and down this forum looking for the answer to why I can't connect my PS3 to my iMac via ethernet from the Mac itself.

The issue seems to be that unlike the wireless connection directly to the router (which has UPnP enabled, of course), UPnP is not enabled with the wired connection to the Mac. Every other connection seems to be working swell. The PS3 when connected via ethernet will get online just fine but because for some reason UPnP is not enabled, it won't find the Media Server.

I want to stress that the PS3 is not having trouble connecting to the internet via the ethernet connected to the Mac. It's doing so fine. It's just that it won't enable UPnP whereas it will when wireless.

My Mac Firewall is off, all IP addresses seem to be finding themselves just swell (don't even have to force them as per other posts) - Is there a reason why when wired, connected through ethernet to the Mac, UPnP is not enabled on the PS3?
kidblue

Re: Connecting via ethernet from Mac

Postby meskibob » Wed Sep 12, 2012 11:23 am

I can't quite tell. Are you using a direct connection (Mac directly to PS3, no router or switch)? If so, look at this special section of the FAQ - viewtopic.php?f=6&t=3507&p=32731#pms-pms_faq_connectivity_direct
If not, look at the general FAQ post - viewtopic.php?f=6&t=3507&p=32731#p34933
I provide NO application support via PM or email, so please post your question to the forum per the Forum Rules.
meskibob

Postby kidblue » Wed Sep 12, 2012 5:38 pm

I feel as if it has to be a basic OS X-specific issue. None of the stuff in the FAQ applies to me; It is gigabit ethernet with appropriate sharing turned on - the PS3 is getting a swell connection, just not UPnP.
If it were an issue of mismatched IPs and then necessitated forcing those, it wouldn't connect to begin with.
Is there a step-by-step guide specifically for OS X for connecting via ethernet directly between Mac/PS3?
kidblue

Postby meskibob » Wed Sep 12, 2012 5:58 pm

What IP addresses (also subnet mask and gateway) did you set for each device?
I provide NO application support via PM or email, so please post your question to the forum per the Forum Rules.
meskibob

Postby kidblue » Wed Sep 12, 2012 6:10 pm

Everything in that respect lines up, unless I'm looking in the wrong place? Where on the Mac should I find that? I've just been using what the DHCP numbers are in System Prefs and manually inputting into the PS3.
kidblue

Postby meskibob » Wed Sep 12, 2012 7:56 pm

If you're doing a direct connection between the Mac and PS3, you'll need to manually set static IP addresses. Again, follow the FAQ and the link that is provided under the direction connection section.
meskibob

Return to Mac OS X Support